Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Women's section /

We are women, we cook! How about a recipe?

Old
We are women, we cook! How about a recipe? - Wed Aug 08, 2012, 03:23 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
I don't know about you but I am cooking dinners right in the middle of playing mtt's so I thought heck let's share some recipes....Omg this is absolutely delicious..I made it last week for the first time although I'm not sure why it took me so long being from Texas and all..The recipe came from The Pioneer woman she has her own show on The Food Network . The link is here for the recipe or just follow directions below! http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2...tortilla-soup/ Anyway give this a try and if you have a recipe too share please post it here. I love to try new things!

TORTILLA SOUP:

Ingredients
2 whole Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1-1/2 teaspoon Cumin
1 teaspoon Chili Powder
1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 cup Diced Onion
1/4 cup Diced Green Bell Pepper
1/4 cup Red Bell Pepper
3 cloves Garlic, Minced
1 can (10 Oz. Can) Rotel Tomatoes And Green Chilies
32 ounces, fluid Low Sodium Chicken Stock
3 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
4 cups Hot Water
2 cans (15 Oz. Can) Black Beans, Drained
3 Tablespoons Cornmeal Or Masa
5 whole Corn Tortillas, Cut Into Uniform Strips Around 2 To 3 Inches
_____
FOR THE GARNISHES:
Sour Cream
Diced Avocado
Diced Red Onion
Salsa Or Pico De Gallo
Grated Monterey Jack Cheese
Cilantro
Preparation Instructions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix cumin, chili pepper, garlic powder, and salt. Drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil on chicken breasts, then sprinkle a small amount of spice mix on both sides. Set aside the rest of the spice mix.
Place chicken breasts on a baking sheet. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until chicken is done. Use two forks to shred chicken. Set aside.
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a pot over medium high heat. Add onions, red pepper, green pepper, and minced garlic. Stir and begin cooking, then add the rest of the spice mix. Stir to combine, then add shredded chicken and stir.
Pour in Rotel, chicken stock, tomato paste, water, and black beans. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 45 minutes, uncovered.
Mix cornmeal with a small amount of water. Pour into the soup, then simmer for an additional 30 minutes. Check seasonings, adding more if needed---add more chili powder if it needs more spice, and be sure not to undersalt. Turn off heat and allow to sit for 15 to 20 minutes before serving. Five minutes before serving, gently stir in tortilla strips.
Ladle into bowls, then top with sour cream, diced red onion, diced avocado, pico de gallo, and grated cheese, if you have it! (The garnishes really make the soup delicious.)

Last edited by TEXASKICK; Wed Aug 08, 2012 at 03:24 PM.. Reason: :Qh

Old
oops - Tue Aug 14, 2012, 12:29 PM
(#2)
BronzeStar
Forgot to mention I used 2 packs of Old El Paso taco seasoning in place of the dry spices......Also cilantro and avocado are absolutely necessary IMO !

Old
Tue Aug 14, 2012, 12:52 PM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2012
mmmm.... looks good!

Old
Tue Aug 14, 2012, 01:06 PM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2012
Nice and interesting thread, and yes i always manage to cook dinner while playing poker too

I have one recipe, Chicken Enchiladas, and i just love it!

Ingredients

4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
2 onion, chopped
5dl sour cream
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
1 teaspoon salt (optional)
1 tablespoon Sambal oelek
8 flour tortillas
200g grated Cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a medium, non-stick skillet over medium heat, cook chicken until no longer pink and juices run clear. Cube the chicken and return it to the skillet. Add the onion, sour cream, and ground white pepper, salt and sambal olelek.

Roll even amounts of the mixture in the tortillas. Arrange in a 9x13 inch baking dish. Cover with Cheddar cheese. Bake uncovered in the preheated oven 20 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before serving. And Serve with sallad.

Ps. sorry for the dl and g. If someone dont know what it stands for so its:
dl= decilitre
g= grams

Simple and yummi!

Old
Tue Aug 14, 2012, 02:16 PM
(#5)
BronzeStar
Thanks Rabbit! Will definitely be putting this on the list as I loveeeeeeeeeeeeee all things spicy..including my poker!

Old
Tue Aug 14, 2012, 03:48 PM
(#6)
BronzeStar
Thnx Jig ! Will have to give that a try!

Old
Tue Aug 14, 2012, 06:25 PM
(#7)
Since: Nov 2011
No recipes, a cooking tip. (I ran a rather successful restaurant for a few years on this).

Use no fat whatsoever in cooking, and stay as far away as possible from eggs.

Get your (possibly clean) hands on some top-grade olive oil - the effectiveness of the tip being directly proportional to the quality of the oil. Use the oil raw after cooking.

Your dishes will therefore be as good as the quality of the produce you buy - plus bonus points for the quality of the oil on them.

The upside: you can cook just about anything basic this way.

The downside: you''ll probably live to 120, so try to live a dangerous life while you're at it.

Clue: Yes, I am Italian.

Old
Tue Aug 14, 2012, 07:34 PM
(#8)
BronzeStar
+1 Very cool!

Old
Swedish meatballs - Mon Sep 24, 2012, 03:23 PM
(#9)
BronzeStar
Delicious............

These Swedish meatballs are cooked on stovetop then finished in the oven.
Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups soft bread crumbs, about 3 slices bread
1 tablespoon dried minced onion or 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 cup milk
2 pounds ground beef
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons flour
1 can (10 1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth
1 cup half-and-half or light cream

Preparation:

Combine bread crumbs, onion, salt, pepper, nutmeg and 3/4 cup milk in a large mixing bowl. Let milk soak into crumbs for a few minutes. Gently stir in ground beef until well blended; form into balls about 1 to 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Brown meatballs in butter and oil in a large skillet; remove with a slotted spoon to a 2 1/2-quart baking dish. Drain off all but 2 tablespoons of drippings; stir flour into drippings. Cook, stirring constantly, until bubbly. Stir in beef broth and cream. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens and boils for a minute. Pour over Swedish meatballs in baking dish. Bake Swedish meatballs at 325° for 35 to 45

Old
Sun Nov 04, 2012, 01:37 PM
(#10)
BronzeStar
Ok, this is one of my personal favorites...I can tell you these are ridiculously delicious.

Stuffed Jalapeno Peppers

1 large can whole PICKLED Jalapenos
1 Pound hamburger
1 box cream cheese
10-12 bacon strips..raw

Brown hamburger meat, drain. add cream cheese while meat is hot for easy mixing. set aside
slice jalapenos on one side and remove all seeds
stuff as much meat mixture into jalapenos as it can hold (there can never be too much)
now wrap each jalapeno in raw bacon
place in preheated 350 degree oven and cook for about 30 minutes
The bacon will NOT be crisp but it is done.
EAT AND ENJOY..NomNomNomNom

Old
Sun Nov 04, 2012, 03:00 PM
(#11)
Since: Dec 2011
sounds good ....what time am I expected round there?

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com