Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

reading an opponent

Old
reading an opponent - Thu Aug 09, 2012, 12:18 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
Here is an interesting hand from last night's 6Max Flame tournament.

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

I felt that I had a very good read on this player. The flop bet was a bluff. He could have a gutshot or a small flush draw, or even a pair of threes as a backup plan, but most of his range was just air. It was an easy call.

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

The turn gave me a small pair that put me ahead of his possible 3s, but might have given him a straight. So I checked to him to induce a second bluff bet or a value bet if he hit the straight. The bet was what I expected for another bluff.

The river was a blank unless he had 3s. Should I bet or should I check to him again? I decided that my image would likely mean he would quite possibly fold to a bet, but would try a third barrel with just air to fold out a missed flush draw. He very nicely obliged me.

Good reads can be a huge advantage.
Doug

3 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Aug 09, 2012, 01:28 PM
(#2)
Since: Apr 2012
Is it just me or is the villains turn bet awful? Betting about half pot, leaving himself not much behind, on a wet board when he actually picks up some showdown value. His play makes very little sense to me and I think you obviously thought the same and had a nice read on where you stood. Well played.

Tournament of Champions Winner 2013

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Aug 09, 2012, 01:44 PM
(#3)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I agree with you Fadyen. If the villain bets the turn, it should be a shove... however.... no way am I calling a 3-bet pre with 6Ts.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Aug 09, 2012, 04:30 PM
(#4)
This villain often bets with air, and often successfully bluffs opponents to take down the pot. He had seen me bet strong hands aggressively and fold to aggression in likely good bluff situations. Unfortunately for him, he did not realize, I had folded because I felt that I did not have a good enough read to be sure they were bluffing. Based on my play, he had every reason to expect to be able to run a successful bluff on a good board for bluffing.

3 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com