Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Is this a fold?

Old
Is this a fold? - Thu Aug 09, 2012, 02:18 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2010
Hello,

I was just wondering...
http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/blogs/post/?id=31860

Thanks in advance.

Old
Thu Aug 09, 2012, 05:03 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi Iggyo.

In a normal MTT where we are playing for prizes and not for satelitte seats or points (Open League etc) we should NEVER, no matter what, fold AA preflop.

At the point it's folded around to you there's only 1 player allin and the rest have very little invested. I would assume a fair amount of the time here we get allin heads up and have the person crushed.

You mention on the blog that you didn't want to play a multiway pot. While it's true that the chances of AA winning reduces the more people play the hand, the size of the pot also grows. Which means in terms of equity the more people in the pot the more money we will make in the long run.

As it turns out you are 59.5% favourite to win a 5475 chip pot. That equals 3257 chips on average or a 150% increase on your starting stack in the hand of 1300. Way better than getting one opponent allin headsup

It's a fist pump, high five moment.
Andy

Quad Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Aug 09, 2012, 06:42 PM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2010
Thanks for the explanation, Andy. I just started doubting myself after getting my aces hacked several times over what seemed to be a short period of time in multi-way pots. Anyway, with the explanation of the pot getting bigger in comparison to my call amount and being an almost 3:2 favourite alleviates all the worries and doubts that I had. I suppose the answer might be different if this were a league tournament for points (where I believe I got the idea that this may be a fold at this point in the tourney).

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com