Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Your opinion on this please..

Old
Your opinion on this please.. - Thu Aug 09, 2012, 04:59 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2012
Hi guys,

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/rep...ash=3AF72ED866

Ok so we all limp into the pot and I flop a set of 5 and decide to lead out with just under half the pot.
I get raised by a guy in the HJ with a stat of 49/15/60 (41).

So I'm thinking since villain limped in preflop, he was probably weak preflop: maybe a suited/one-gapped connector, weak A.

I decided to fold because even though I had the set of 5, I had a weak kicker, and it was likely that he also had a set of 5 with a better kicker, or even probably a fullhouse.

What do you think about my flop bet and the overall play?

Thanks

Old
Thu Aug 09, 2012, 05:32 PM
(#2)
Since: Nov 2011
Never folding here. Your range is off btw, with the other limper he's limping with small pp, and if he has an overpair to the board he's easily raising here. Given his range, there are a much higher percentage of small pp and 6x type hands he's raising with here than there are 5x's.

Also bet more on the flop.

Old
Thu Aug 09, 2012, 07:50 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi RFlush007!

Is this from a cash tourney or league game? The way that I would go about it WILL be different and here is how I'd play it.

Cash tourney:

With 25s in the BB, I'm more than happy to check and see the flop for free here.

On the flop, I get trip 5's. There is a large difference between a set of 5's and trip 5's and in this case, I only have trips. To have a set, I need to have a pocket pair and where that makes a difference is that if I have a set, no other player can have the same three-of-a-kind. In this case, with trip 5's, another player could have a 5 and have me outkicked.

With trips, I do want to make a value bet here and since there is not a flush draw available too, I will size it at my standard c-bet size of 1/2 pot. The opp in the HJ then decides to raise to 540.
Here is where a read on the opp helps.
If I call, I need to put 432 into a pot that will be 1350 (32%). I then go to pokerstove and put in the board, my cards and the opp's range 49%. With this, my hand has 93% equity! Also, the tighter the opps range could be for raising... the larger my hand equity becomes.
Due to this, I'm going to 3-bet the opp here and size the bet between a pot-size raise and 3X the opp's bet.. so I'll raise to 1500 and be prepared to call a shove from the opp.

Yes, A5 is within the opp's range, but so are many 6x's or other pocket pairs. I want to be in this type of situation with a made hand and while I will lose some hands, that's where good bankroll management comes into play, as the reward is worth the risk.

League game:

In league games, since lasting as long as possible to get ITM without taking any risks of an early KO for negative league points, I will play this hand much, much more cautiously.

With 25s, I will still check and see the flop for free.

With trip 5's, I will make the same value bet on the flop, however, when the opp raises, I'm only going to flat here in-case the opp has 66 or has me outkicked. I will then re-evaluate after seeing the turn.
One thing that I do not want to do in any league game is to be all-in without knowing that I will have the best hand after seeing the entire board.
In these games, the reward of extra chips for a deeper run is NOT worth the risk of a negative point total for an early exit.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Aug 12, 2012, 12:28 PM
(#4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doomasiggy View Post
Never folding here. Your range is off btw, with the other limper he's limping with small pp, and if he has an overpair to the board he's easily raising here. Given his range, there are a much higher percentage of small pp and 6x type hands he's raising with here than there are 5x's.

Also bet more on the flop.
Thanks doomasiggy.

Old
Sun Aug 12, 2012, 12:29 PM
(#5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
Hi RFlush007!

Is this from a cash tourney or league game? The way that I would go about it WILL be different and here is how I'd play it.

Cash tourney:

With 25s in the BB, I'm more than happy to check and see the flop for free here.

On the flop, I get trip 5's. There is a large difference between a set of 5's and trip 5's and in this case, I only have trips. To have a set, I need to have a pocket pair and where that makes a difference is that if I have a set, no other player can have the same three-of-a-kind. In this case, with trip 5's, another player could have a 5 and have me outkicked.

With trips, I do want to make a value bet here and since there is not a flush draw available too, I will size it at my standard c-bet size of 1/2 pot. The opp in the HJ then decides to raise to 540.
Here is where a read on the opp helps.
If I call, I need to put 432 into a pot that will be 1350 (32%). I then go to pokerstove and put in the board, my cards and the opp's range 49%. With this, my hand has 93% equity! Also, the tighter the opps range could be for raising... the larger my hand equity becomes.
Due to this, I'm going to 3-bet the opp here and size the bet between a pot-size raise and 3X the opp's bet.. so I'll raise to 1500 and be prepared to call a shove from the opp.

Yes, A5 is within the opp's range, but so are many 6x's or other pocket pairs. I want to be in this type of situation with a made hand and while I will lose some hands, that's where good bankroll management comes into play, as the reward is worth the risk.

League game:

In league games, since lasting as long as possible to get ITM without taking any risks of an early KO for negative league points, I will play this hand much, much more cautiously.

With 25s, I will still check and see the flop for free.

With trip 5's, I will make the same value bet on the flop, however, when the opp raises, I'm only going to flat here in-case the opp has 66 or has me outkicked. I will then re-evaluate after seeing the turn.
One thing that I do not want to do in any league game is to be all-in without knowing that I will have the best hand after seeing the entire board.
In these games, the reward of extra chips for a deeper run is NOT worth the risk of a negative point total for an early exit.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)
Thanks John, you comments are very helpful.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com