Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5NL Zoom

Old
5NL Zoom - Thu Aug 09, 2012, 06:39 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2011

No reads

Was this the correct way to play this hand ?

Old
Fri Aug 10, 2012, 01:42 AM
(#2)
Since: Nov 2011
Hi Animosama

This is a great example of a board and circumstance where pocket aces becomes a marginal hand (a weak hand). It is unfortunate but sometimes the board doesn't cooperate with our hand!

I think we have a couple decisions to focus on in this hand and they are namely the turn and the river, the flop being a good call as I am unwilling to either raise or fold at this point.

On the turn villain leads into us for the second time. We don't have a heart on a 3 heart board. We don't have an eight on a board with two eights. And there are 3 cards to a straight. What I'm getting at is a lot of hands beat ours! And we don't have many cards that will improve us. So we shouldn't be very happy to call the turn. The only saving grace we have is that he bet half pot, so we aren't getting 'charged' too much to see the river in position. But I think this is too tempting. It is really likely that villain a) has us beat already and b) is going to bet river again. So I really wouldn't mind folding the turn

I would say the river is a clear fold, meaning that it was a definite mistake to call. Don't worry though, we all get affixed to aces sometimes . The board has come four to a straight with a three flush and has paired. There are just too many hands that beat us at this point. Our opponent led into three people on the flop remember, not just two, this suggests that his hand is stronger than normal. So by the time this river comes and he has bet the whole way we have to give him some credit and lay it down. It would be a very unusual spot for our opponent to be bluffing on this kind of board betting every street!

Gareth

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com