Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

PS Open Skill League Early situation

Old
Exclamation
PS Open Skill League Early situation - Thu Aug 09, 2012, 09:27 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2012
Hi all,

Early in skill league 10,000 entry MTT
Obviously you are penalised for early bust out, so that given, this hand arises:

Me BB with 33
multiple limped pot
Flop 3 5s 6s
Two all in's who have me covered.

What am I supposed to do with this super wet board. I know the flush is going to come

Anyway, I called and the flush did come and I didn't 'house up' so I busted in bottom 25%.

So I fear I wasted the efforts of getting 4 finishes in top 1,500 earlier in the day.

Any thoughts welcome
Quasibonko

Old
Thu Aug 09, 2012, 10:11 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
*** moved to more appropriate forum since member has a ? about a hand JWK24***

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Aug 10, 2012, 01:52 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Quasibonko!

Welcome to the forum.

League games have a different strategy and this hand is a good example of it.

If this were a cash game, then I'd be looking to make a large enough bet to price the opps out of any of their draws (most likely a pot sized bet but will depend on the exact number of opps in the hand) and if raised, I would be happy to get the chips in on the flop. Even if the opps have or hit a striaght or flush, I have 7 outs to improve on the turn and 10 outs on the river.

However, with this being a league game, where an early exit could cost me valuable league points, I need to be much more cautious.

Preflop, I will check to try and setmine into the multi-way pot from the BB.
Flopping top set, I would make a value bet here of about 1/2 pot (the blind level and pot size were not listed, so I can't provide an exact number). but I would make the value bet at about 1/2 pot.
I then have two opps shove.
With this being early in a league game, I do not want to be all-in unless I am certain that I'm ahead and that I will be ahead after the entire board is shown.
Since I could be behind (possible made straight) and with many straight draws and a flush draw, I'm going to muck my set of 3's here. The reward of picking up the extra chips is not worth the large negative league points if I do not win the hand. Yes I have outs, but the risk is definitely not worth the reward.
Especially the later that it gets into the month, I want to take less and less chances early in these tourneys, as the negative point total that I will get for an early exit will become more and more as my league point total increases.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Aug 10, 2012, 02:51 AM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2012
Hi Jwk24,
Thanks for the welcome to the forum. Happy to be here!

Also, many thanks for your comprehensive answer.

The reason I posted was for validation, as I immediately realised/sensed that my call was wrong in the league format, for the reasons you described. And that's not entirely because the flush came in!
I really am interested in honing my strategy and not just winning any given hand, so I appreciate you confirming what I was already starting to think about...

best regards
Quasibonko

Old
Fri Aug 10, 2012, 08:28 AM
(#5)
Since: Jul 2011
i was in the same spot yesterday with a set of nines. Two diamonds on the flop, two all ins in front of me so i fold. No diamonds came and a russian donk took it down with ace high which was more tilting than loosing points lol. So naturally i had to blind myself out of the game just to break even points wise. How this is helps peoples overall game is beyond me there must be a way of scoring these tourneys that are more a test of skill and abilty. love a moan me

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com