Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5NL Zoom - dealing with utg o'limpers

Old
5NL Zoom - dealing with utg o'limpers - Thu Aug 09, 2012, 09:44 PM
(#1)
Since: May 2011
In one of the frosty012 live training sessions I was amazed he went with 99 and was quite happy being against AK. This was at very high cash stakes.

But down in the 5NL cash world is this normal? In one way I can justify my actions dealing with utg o'limpics. But this is not profitable in the long term, is it?

OK here is the other side of the argument It looks like a btn steal but 2nd best draw - 5NL Zoom Dealing with sb 90bb shove Bingo and I lose Boom

Last edited by ForrestFive; Fri Aug 10, 2012 at 12:25 AM.. Reason: other side of the argument

Old
Fri Aug 10, 2012, 01:57 AM
(#2)
Since: Nov 2011
Hi ForrestFive

It sounds like you are thinking well about this spot. Sure it turned out very well this time but can you do it with 99 every time? Well that is a tougher question.

I think some things can help you decide in spots like this. One is the note function for PokerStars. After you see this particular player turn up with a weak hand it will be worth noting for next time. Similarly if you see a player make this play and turn up with a very strong hand, you will be better equipped moving forward as well.

Another thing you can do to try to get a read on players in this spot is check the lobby for how many tables they are playing. I know at 5nl zoom the lobby has quite a lot of names! But if the person is playing 4 tables I would be more likely to fold 99 here assuming that often he is trying to trick us into calling off light preflop. Someone playing 1 table I would say, is more capable of doing some wild things.

Overall though we can see we aren't getting a good price. Our opponent has moved all-in for an entire stack without that much dead money in the middle. So we need a good amount of equity against the range of hands he is doing this with, and often 99 will probably fall short. If he has hands like A8o and 47s in his range though... 99 is probably doing just fine even if there are also sometimes stronger hands like AK or QQ. In general I would turn down the price, its just not good enough, but with the help of notes and being observant, we can often make the big call!

Gareth

Old
Fri Aug 10, 2012, 06:09 PM
(#3)
Since: May 2011
Thanks Gareth,

Yes I do use labels and notes. In cash Orange for limp and Red for open raise. For limps if possible I take a note of what they limp with. So in these two examples something like:
limp utg 74s 3b shove
3b shove sb A8o

Good tip to look in the lobby to see how many tables played - experienced players will probably multiple table.

In these situations I just think what is the villain doing? A better hand would raise for value not 3b shove so am I good against a Muppet?

So "Get your money in good." Yes both times and won one lost one. Probably not good at high stakes though I doubt much limp/call limp/3b goes on there.

Look forward to your 6-max live training sessions and welcome to PokerSchoolOnline.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com