Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

QQ in the BB. First hand at table.

Old
QQ in the BB. First hand at table. - Fri Aug 10, 2012, 08:26 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
Obviously as this is my first hand at the table I had no info on the villain. When he min raises the button I assume he's fairly wide, his min-raise and stack size also suggest he is fishy but without more info I couldn't read too much into this.

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

I decide to 3-bet as I'm OOP and I have a premium, I pump it up to 15c (a little larger than usual as I'm OOP) and he calls. The flop doesn't come super scary, however I don't like the K. I decide to c-bet 2/3 pot hoping to get called by smaller PP's some A high hands and draws. Obviously a K is calling as well but I feel that a bet is a better option here as it doesn't give him the chance to peel the turn for free with A high hands, draws and smaller PP's. Also if I check/call I don't know were I stand as he could be jumping on my weakness or betting a K and as I don't have info I prefer to bet. Is this a correct way to be thinking?

The 9d on the turn doesn't really change anything, I don't like checking as nothings really changed so my line looks really weak if I check here and he will likely bet putting me to a tough decision so I opted to bet. I made it a little smaller, around half pot, to try and entice worse hands to come along, he again just flatted.

The 2d comes on the river and nothing apart from a 2 gets there, I feel like I should bet here but he has less than a pot sized bet left and has already faded two bullets. He could have a K and as I have no info on him I don't know how light he will call down. What is the best line to take on the river, should I put him in or check call or check fold...?

Thanks for any help.

Croyd

Old
easy push - Fri Aug 10, 2012, 11:07 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
This is an easy decision. You have already conceded the Kx, AA, 22, 44 possibilities. If he has those, nice hand sir top up your stack and deal. He could be calling down with a flush or straight draw(now busted), a smaller PP, or a 4x, pair. Only the now wins. This is a fairly small part of his possible range, yet you only have to risk 82 cents to win $1.39 or $2.21 if he calls with a losing hand. Very much +EV. imo.

3 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Aug 10, 2012, 11:16 AM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2011
Hi Croyd ...

So......
what ended up happening? Did you push? Check, did you both check?
Did he push? Was he holding a king, a deuce?

Just curious as to how the hand played out since it stopped after the river came down.

I am going to bet a nickle that you pushed and he called with K 9?

Hope you can fill us in on the last few plays and the end result.

Thanks!

Old
Playing the river - Fri Aug 10, 2012, 12:33 PM
(#4)
Since: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croyd93 View Post
The 2d comes on the river and nothing apart from a 2 gets there, I feel like I should bet here but he has less than a pot sized bet left and has already faded two bullets. He could have a K and as I have no info on him I don't know how light he will call down. What is the best line to take on the river, should I put him in or check call or check fold...?

Thanks for any help.

Croyd
What we know:
You’re at a 6 Max table with 2 other players, both unknown. The other players are not topping off, which might be a sign of weaker players. This is a micro table, which also lends a hand to the other players being weak (in general).

PF:
You 3-bet and get called from the BTN. At this point I put the BTN on a wide range of hands. But at the same time, I’m eliminating premium hands from his range.

FLOP:
You’re OOP with 2nd pair, on a somewhat dry board. Your 2/3 c-bet gets called; villain might have a stubborn Ax; Ax hearts; Kxs; KJ+; xx connector/one gap hearts; pocket pairs 33 55-JJ; set 2’s or 4’s.

TURN:
The 9d only improves K9s, and 9x hands; there are still lots of hands in his range that may be willing to pay-off a value bet. As an option, you may want to check/call a reasonable bet. If you check, and villain checks behind, you should be able to get value from a pocket pair on the river (given no scare card arrives). In general, you should tend to give credit to and unknown, and not be willing to stack-off at this point.

As played: I would tend to eliminate sets from the villains range, and some pocket pairs.

RIVER:
As played: If you bet, the only hands that are calling you are Kx, K9, and sets. You may have lost the pocket pairs at this point (smaller % chance of getting value). In either case, I don’t see you driving out hands that beat you.

On the other hand, if you use a check/call line: All the weaker Kx hands will probably check down (saving you money); and you may be able to induce a bluff from the missed Ax heart, and xx heart hands (making you money). In general, you have nothing to lose by checking, except possible value from TT and JJ (which may have 4bet PF). But these hands are just a small potion of his range, and may fold to a 3rd barrel anyway.

"May the cards be with you!"

Old
Fri Aug 10, 2012, 08:47 PM
(#5)
Since: Nov 2011
Hey Croyd!

I think you described the hand well. On the river we should be concerned that we would only be called by better by putting our opponent all-in. He has, after all, called three times (preflop, flop, and turn) already!

So I think if we are going to play the flop and the turn this way our decision on the river should be between check-call and check-fold.

What I like about check-call. 1) Maybe this opponent would be reluctant to push all in with some of his Kx hands like KT/KJ/KQ. With these hands he will probably be willing to go to showdown more often and check behind. That means that should he bet or shove when checked to on the river he won't have these hands. He will either have strong hands, like AK, K9, 99, etc, or he will have bluffs like AThh. There are only so many heart draws however so I would caution against putting someone on a heart draw any time they move all-in on the river and the draw missed. 2) Those missed heart draw type hands will be very tempted to move all-in because they will recognize that is the only way they are going to win the pot.

Another way to play this hand postflop is to bet the flop, check the turn, and bet the river. This is the line of actions I would often take in a spot where villain could easily have an overcard pair that has my pocket pair drawing to two outs. We want to look weak to a degree in this pot, so that the JJ, TT, 88 type hands will stick around. We don't want to only invite KX to the party and betting every street is a good recipe for that

Gareth

Old
Sat Aug 11, 2012, 08:23 AM
(#6)
Since: Jul 2011
Thanks for all the replies guys, here is the rest of the hand.

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

As you can see I check/called I decided that it was the best option for the reason that King spades and Gareth mentioned. I mainly thought that it gave worse hands a shot at bluffing at the pot, but I didn't really think about weak kings checking behind to save me money. I was pretty surprised to see he'd got all in with A4o, but I suppose it is 2nl.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com