Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5NL 6-max Zoom. Calling on btn nice turn semi-bluff?

Old
5NL 6-max Zoom. Calling on btn nice turn semi-bluff? - Fri Aug 10, 2012, 10:14 PM
(#1)
Since: May 2011
Hi,

I thought about raising on the button but is it ok to flat?

Obviously I'd face a c-bet and feel obliged to call which I did. But the villain sort of gives up in a 3 way pot.

So was this was a nice semi-bluff spot on a turn card that scares the life out of me?

Got the result I wanted.

But how would I play this if I get called and no diamond or just hitting 2 pair on the river?

>>Boom Hand<<

Old
Fri Aug 10, 2012, 11:03 PM
(#2)
Since: Nov 2011
Hi Forrest

I think flat calling is by far the best play here. Let's review: If we reraise preflop we shut out the blinds. Our hand plays well in position and multiway, so that's not something we necessarily want to do. If we reraise we also get the initial raiser to fold dominated hands like KJ and QJ, while continuing with dominating hands like AK and AQ that could make things very tough for us.

Your turn bet is great. We will probably hear from one of them if they have a 9 or a full house

The times the player in the blinds call the turn bet I would always be giving up with our hand on the river. Why?

1) We should not try to fold out better hands like a pair of aces or trip nines. We shouldn't expect him to have too many weaker hands like pocket tens or a pair of eights. We expect to fold those hands with our turn bet.

2) If we check it down we actually beat every other draw on this turn. So if he check-calls out of position on the turn we can win on a blank versus a) every other flush draw b) straight draws like JT, QT, QJ, 67.

Hope that all makes some sense

Gareth

Old
Sat Aug 11, 2012, 01:02 PM
(#3)
Since: May 2011
Thanks Gareth,

Yes it was all perfectly clear. I need to improve my thinking on what combinations of cards I don't want to fold out. Also realizing that I'm not in too bad shape against draws if the hand had continued.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com