Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Home game tournament structure

Old
Question
Home game tournament structure - Sat Aug 11, 2012, 03:55 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
So every so often we would have a home game at Artines' place and we can't agree on a tournament structure. Andrew recommends a structure that goes like this:

It's a 10$ buy in with one rebuy.
Each of the 5 players get 75 chips.
The blinds start at 1/2,
after a player is eliminated we bump it up to 2/4,
once another player is eliminated we bump it up to 5/10
then when we reach heads up we bump it up to 10/20.

Personally I think this is a stupid structure u only start with a bit more than 35bb and bumping it up from 2/4 to 5/10 to 10/20 is too much of a drastic increase which gives the big stacks the advantage to cripple the small stacks.

Tell me what u think and what structure u recommend using.

Old
Sun Aug 12, 2012, 05:11 AM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi Andrei,

I do not have a direct anwser to your question, but I would like to recommend the pokerstars clock for your smart phone. You can set the amount of players, starting stacks, starting blinds etc. And it gives you a schedule and warns you when to increase the blinds. Give it a shot.

Old
Tue Aug 14, 2012, 04:54 AM
(#3)
How long do you want your tourney to last?
How many chips of each color do you have?

Answer these two questions and I can suggest a structure for you

Here is the blind structure from my regular home game.

GL

Roland GTX
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolands Blinds.jpg (15.7 KB, 10 views)

Old
Tue Aug 14, 2012, 12:19 PM
(#4)
Hey Andrei, I play a similar game with my friends, but the blinds are actually in 10 min ( which makes everyone really short at the end ). But the prize structure is kinda weird, the secondf place wins almost nothing and the first place wins everything, so it turns into a "play to win" game. that I think that apply to your game as well. As the big stack will have a huge advantage on the short stacks at the end. So in my opinion try to build a big stack during the first level that u'll be a little bit deeper, and as the blinds go up, play for the win, not just to survive.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com