Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

K9s pre, trips on the turn, effective SPR on river~1, shove?

Old
K9s pre, trips on the turn, effective SPR on river~1, shove? - Sat Aug 11, 2012, 05:58 PM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2011
No stats because had recently moved tables.

Button and BB were sitting out.

Poker Stars $0.23+$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t50/t100 Blinds - 8 players -

UTG: t2015 20.15 BBs
UTG+1: t1740 17.40 BBs
MP1: t4565 45.65 BBs
Hero (MP2): t4075 40.75 BBs
CO: t3250 32.50 BBs
BTN: t3205 32.05 BBs
SB: t2805 28.05 BBs
BB: t4230 42.30 BBs

Pre Flop: (t150) Hero is MP2 with 9 K
3 folds, Hero raises to t250, CO calls t250, 1 fold, SB calls t200, 1 fold

Flop: (t850) T K 3 (3 players)
SB checks, Hero bets t444, CO calls t444, SB folds

Turn: (t1738) K (2 players)
Hero bets t700, CO calls t700

River: (t3138) 7 (2 players)

Hero???

I don't think he's really calling the river here if he has a draw, so is checking back to induce a bluff the best option here?

Last edited by bearxing; Sat Aug 11, 2012 at 06:23 PM.. Reason: non compliant links

Old
Sat Aug 11, 2012, 08:49 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Hey there,

I think that if you were to check the river here the opponent might check back at you. Hard to say with no reads on him.

If I were to play this hand in this situation I would probably put out a very small bet on the river. The opponent has already flat called 2 streets so he might flat call here too.

Even better he might be inexperienced and believe our small bet to indicate weakness and come over the top on us, then we can 4 bet him with our trips.

Just my thoughts, one of the hand analysers will give you a better answer later I'm sure.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Aug 12, 2012, 12:51 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi doomasiggy!

With K9s, when I do want to play the hand, I will make a standard opening raise with it. For this blind level for me, it will be to 3BB+1BB for each limper, so I will raise to 300.

The flop gives me top pair with a not very good kicker, but there are two opps in the pot with both a straight draw and flush draw. When the small blind checks to me, I'm going to bet 3/4 pot here, to price out the draws and to see how the opps react, as I want to see if someone may have me outkicked.

The SB folds, so I have to play the rest of the hand OOP and the turn brings another K. With one king left in the deck, while having it IS in the opp's range, there is only one left. I'm going to make a 1/2 pot bet here to price out any of the opp's possible draws.

The river is a blank to all of the draws. Here is where a read on the opp would come into play for me. So far, the opp has been calling bets and has shown no aggression. If the opp IS a stationy opponent that would call and not play back at me, then they may just check behind, which could cost me value. Due to this, I'm going to value bet my trips here with a bet that I think that the opp may call and I'll size it at 1/3-1/2 pot.. small enough that they may call it, but not too large that could get them to fold. If the opp shows up with the case K and a higher kicker, so be it as I don't want to lose out on a value bet from a passive opponent and if so, then I can label the opp as a loose/passive opponent and can value bet them to get my chips back with my next made hand.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com