Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

All-in on AKo. Bad call or bad beat?

Old
All-in on AKo. Bad call or bad beat? - Mon Aug 13, 2012, 05:45 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2012

This hand was played in the Hawking NL Freeroll. I got in top 500 or so then this happend..

The villan reads 35/35/inf. after I think something around 10 hands at that table.

Pre-flop with one limper I raise 5BB's with my AKo. The villan on the BB re-raises to all-in. I called it. In the end, I got squat.. Bad call or bad beat?

Old
Mon Aug 13, 2012, 06:10 PM
(#2)
Since: Apr 2012
I wouldn't say it's a bad call or a bad beat. To me it's a pretty standard flip that you happened to lose this time. I may be wrong in saying this, whoever does the hand evaluation might tell you, but with 16 BB and a limper in the pot I'd probably just be shoving in that spot. I'm sure in this case the result would be the same, however you can't really bet that much of your stack when you're short and then fold so I'd just be getting it in right there.

Tournament of Champions Winner 2013

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Aug 13, 2012, 06:21 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
Although it would't have made any difference, my play would be to shove to isolate the limper instead of raising. You are putting 1/3 of your stack in anyway and AK likes to see all five cards.

As played there is nothing wrong with your call as they might shove a smaller ace as well.

Old
Mon Aug 13, 2012, 06:50 PM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2011
Your play is fine - you cant fold having committed 1/3 of your stack with a premium hand, and you need to chip up to make top 72 places. I would fold if this was very close to the bubble. To me the BB overplayed his 99 but that is out of your control anyway.

I also agree that you could shove over the limper - your raise essentially says I am all in and does scream strength, so in future I would shove.

James

Old
Mon Aug 13, 2012, 07:11 PM
(#5)
Since: Apr 2010
Personally I wudda limped in to see if I hit
After all you are on a draw any pair has you beat if you miss all 5 cards
If you miss the flop its an easy fold
No way am I call the BB raise if I just limp in
Maybe I'm to tight/nitty
That's Just me
But You are still on a draw

Old
Mon Aug 13, 2012, 08:45 PM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi GuuZ88!

In these astronomer tourneys, I try to look to get a chip stack of about 75-80k, as that is a ballpark number that I always used as to what I needed to get a ticket from it.

With under 5k chips, I'm definitely looking for a situation to accumulate chips. With AK on the button, I will make my standard raise, which for this blind level is to 2.5BB+1BB for each limper, so I will raise to 1050. I want to be called and am ready to call a shove, especially from an opponent that has been playing loose.
For my standard raises, I use 3BB+1BB for each limper up to 100/200, then lower it to 2.5BB+1BB for each limper, then at 1k/2k I lower it to 2.2BB+1BB for each limper.

By raising to 1500, I would have basically 1/3 of my chips into the pot, which means that I'm at the committment point, so if I would do that, then I would shove first so that the pressure of making a call is on the opponent and not on me.

When the opp shoves, I need to call 3295 chips into a pot that will be 19,814 (16.6%). I then go to pokerstove to see if my hand has enough equity to call and with the HUD numbers provided, I know to put in 35% for the opponents range and with this, my hand has 64.46% equity.

Since my hand has much more equity than the equity that I would have to put into the pot, this is a +EV call (+47.86%EV.... .which is huge!).

The hand ends up a standard race situation, pair vs two overcards, and I lose out on the race, which I expect to have happen about 1/2 the time.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Aug 14, 2012, 03:55 AM
(#7)
Since: Jan 2012
Thanx everybody for their thoughts and the analysis!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com