Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Brags, Beats and Variance /

First MTT FT, First Win, Biggest Cash!

Old
Wink
First MTT FT, First Win, Biggest Cash! - Wed Aug 15, 2012, 03:26 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2012
I've been striving for a spot at an MTT final table for several years and have been irritatingly close several times. Last night the cards finally fell my way in a $5.40 Turbo Knockout. There were 2960 entrants making for a prize pool of nearly 12K.

I played my standard TAG game and was managing an average stack size throughout the early game. With about 300 players remaining (alreaady ITM) I won a big hand and became chipleader at my table. I lost the chips pretty quickly though when my AKs bricked vs pocket pairs twice in a matter of minutes.

I stayed alive by apparently picking good stealing spots. Not getting called kept me in the game, but it kept my stack short as well. With 50 players remaining I was in 46th place and very desperate. Then I got dealt some nice hands... I tripled up with AK against two pocket pairs after rivering an A - oh yeah! A bit later my 55 shove held up against a villian holding AK, and "presto", I was at the final table with an average stack.

One guy at the FT was a solid MTT grinder. None of the others seemed too good. The grinder got unlucky when he shoved 88 from the sb and the bb woke up with 99 knocking him out. I didn't play many hands except for reraising all in against the chipleader who kept minraise-folding preflop.

Once we were down to four, I called a pf shove with AQs knocking one out, then called another shove holding JJ knocking the other out. Now we were heads up. I had a 4:1 chiplead and the villain was passive. The cards played themselves by this point, but I did get lucky on the final hand. I shoved A6o from the sb and the bb called with A10. A 6 on the flop put me ahead and another 6 on the turn ensured the win.

I achieved two of my biggest poker goals last night. I reached my very first final table of an MTT which was great, and I managed my very first MTT win which was even greater!

I went home with $1900 - my biggest online cash

GL

Roland GTX

PS: My cards played themselves for most of the tourney, but all the 2/180 turbos I played definately gave me an edge during the late game.

Old
Very Nice!!! - Wed Aug 15, 2012, 08:05 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
ChromeStar
Congrats a nice win, the thing with MTTs is you dont cash often but that one big one makes up for alot of losses. Hope you continue on your winning ways. Good Luck

2012 Double Bracelet Winner

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Aug 15, 2012, 08:45 AM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2011
WTG Rowland!! Very nice bink there man! Congrats on the first ft AND win to boot sir. That'll pad the roll quite nicely huh? here's to many more.

May the tinfoil protect you. MT

Old
Wed Aug 15, 2012, 09:20 AM
(#4)
Since: May 2011
That's quite a feat! Congratulations, Roland!

Old
Wed Aug 15, 2012, 09:24 AM
(#5)
nice one roland! keep the "w"s coming!!!

Old
Wed Aug 15, 2012, 09:55 AM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Congrats Roland!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Aug 15, 2012, 10:15 AM
(#7)
Good job sir! Seize the moment!

Old
Wed Aug 15, 2012, 01:15 PM
(#8)
Since: May 2011
Awesome, well done.

A turbo win in a 3k field.

Old
Wed Aug 15, 2012, 02:28 PM
(#9)
Since: Jul 2010
Very impressive, hope this is just the first of many!!

Old
Wed Aug 15, 2012, 04:27 PM
(#10)
Since: Jul 2011

"A weak player may be a nit but a nit is not necessarily a weak player"

Old
Wed Aug 15, 2012, 04:46 PM
(#11)
Since: Nov 2011
As they say in my village, olé.

Old
Wed Aug 15, 2012, 07:15 PM
(#12)
Since: Aug 2010
weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Roland

first win always feels AMAZING

AWESOME

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

we are so happy for you ROLAND

enjoy the win and always take care of your new found Bankroll that is very important

more shipaments on the way good luck

Old
Wed Aug 15, 2012, 07:22 PM
(#13)
BronzeStar
Big congrats Roland!!!

The first of many more to come, I'm sure

One of these days, hopefully the same'll happen for all of us too, with time and practice

Old
Thu Aug 16, 2012, 02:46 AM
(#14)
Thank you all for the support! That is something I missed my first few years online. Following along here at PSO has definately helped me keep my head screwed on straight. Trying to honestly improve my play rather than focusing on "bad luck".

TrustySam said "with time and practice..." Well, during my five years online I've played about 4000 mtts including sngs. I've played about 500 big scheduled MTTs of which 200 are from 2012. My ITM has acually declined a bit since I joined PSO from about 19% down to 15%. However, I have been getting deeper when I do cash (especially in the 180 turbos).

I've been basking in the glory of my first "big win", but I need to remind myself that one win doesn't mean I am a better poker player today than I was yesterday. It does give me the confidence that my game is progressing in the right direction though. And it was obviously a huge thrill to finally take one down.

Thanks for reminding me about bankroll managent Marvinsytan! I just unregged for the Sunday Million LOL! No, I'll be sticking to the micro and low stakes tourneys for the time being. I still have plenty to learn.

Roland GTX

Old
Thu Aug 16, 2012, 02:53 AM
(#15)
Since: Nov 2007
Well done Roland! Nice one!

Cheers,

TC

Old
Thu Aug 16, 2012, 07:08 AM
(#16)
Well done

Old
Thu Aug 16, 2012, 07:36 AM
(#17)
Since: Oct 2010
Congrats

Hope more to come...

Old
Thu Aug 16, 2012, 07:41 AM
(#18)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland GTX View Post
TrustySam said "with time and practice..." Well, during my five years online I've played about 4000 mtts including sngs. I've played about 500 big scheduled MTTs of which 200 are from 2012. My ITM has acually declined a bit since I joined PSO from about 19% down to 15%. However, I have been getting deeper when I do cash (especially in the 180 turbos).
It's always cool to hear the real numbers about the amount of practice you got in to get to this point in your game, in that it's reassuring to hear with hard work you saw noticeable improvement in your game.

I'm gonna keep at it with the ChewMe vids, and will have to keep trying to play more mtt's on the weekends ... <--- marathon, not a sprint

Thx for the details there Roland!

Old
Thu Aug 16, 2012, 08:06 AM
(#19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustySam View Post
It's always cool to hear the real numbers about the amount of practice you got in to get to this point in your game, in that it's reassuring to hear with hard work you saw noticeable improvement in your game.

I'm gonna keep at it with the ChewMe vids, and will have to keep trying to play more mtt's on the weekends ... <--- marathon, not a sprint

Thx for the details there Roland!
ChewMe1 is scary good! I watch all his stuff too

Note that for all of 2012 I have been quite profitable playing the 2/180 turbos, but have consistantly spent all my profit on the big MTTs. I have been itm often enough, but I was steadily losing money on the mtts until this win. A long term investment I guess

GL!

Roland GTX

Old
Thu Aug 16, 2012, 03:36 PM
(#20)
Great job Roland !!! Congratulations.

So did you enjoy the mixed feelings of being juiced,nauseous and hyper aware all at the same time when it got down to the last 5 players? That's always fun,lol.

And it's WHY we keep playing,studying,learning and grinding. To get that feeling again.

Final tables in big field MTT's are poker crack. Once you taste it one time you'll chase that next hot forever.

Good call on the Sunday Million. Keep your wits about you,keep doing what you've been doing and HAVE FUN.

And you learned the best and most valuable lesson in approach vis-a-vis the MTT's---ONE top 3 (especially a bink) trumps a hundred (or more really...) min-cashes.

Here's hoping lightning strikes you twice soon...

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com