Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

How often does a flush come?

Old
How often does a flush come? - Wed Aug 15, 2012, 04:25 AM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2010
Can someone remind me how often 2 suited hole cards hit the flush with 5 cards on the board.

It seems that I keep getting called or shoved over all-in preflop by suited cards that hit the flush a lot more than I would expect.

I don't mind the call in that example above - as it is at least a suited ace//ten that has enough equity against the 77+/A9+ range I am typically shoving here, but I frequently get all in preflop versus lower suited semi/ connected cards like 67s / 8Ts or suited big/small combos like K2s / Q5s that seem to be hitting the flush far too regularly.

For instance...

So what are the odds here? I thought they were lowish..

Ed

Last edited by EdinFreeMan; Wed Aug 15, 2012 at 04:38 AM..

Old
Wed Aug 15, 2012, 05:07 AM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2012
re the pocket 10's

Pre flop you were 65% 35% fav, flop82% 18% Fav and turn 73% 27% fav

Your all in was ok, but you were still a bit too deep really. If you were intent of getting your chips in you would have been better off raising P.F and then shoving on the flop regardless of what came, that way you would have either picked up the blinds uncontested or had the villain have called your raise he was very unlikely to have called your shove on the flop. Either way you would still be in the game.

Confucius say “It is better to win a small pot than loose a big one”

Hope this helps

Old
Wed Aug 15, 2012, 05:42 AM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by will14m View Post
re the pocket 10's

Pre flop you were 65% 35% fav, flop82% 18% Fav and turn 73% 27% fav

Your all in was ok, but you were still a bit too deep really. If you were intent of getting your chips in you would have been better off raising P.F and then shoving on the flop regardless of what came, that way you would have either picked up the blinds uncontested or had the villain have called your raise he was very unlikely to have called your shove on the flop. Either way you would still be in the game.

Confucius say “It is better to win a small pot than loose a big one”

Hope this helps
I am not getting tricky at these micro levels from the BB with a 12BB stack - if I am playing this hand one on one after a 3x raise I don't want to reraise to say 900 (half my stack) then shove any flop with overcards - I am just shoving preflop.

Just looking for odds to hit a flush - not analysis.

Ed

Old
Wed Aug 15, 2012, 05:44 AM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2012
Hey Ed

I think the chance of making a flush with two suited hole cards is about 3%. This is good to know, but perhaps more interesting is how your spesific hands hold up against expected calling ranges of the opponents since you didn't know what they held when you got all in.

1010 vs a random hand is a 75% favorite. However, 1010 becomes a 60% favorite vs a top 20% calling range (Axs, two broadways, any pocket pair). Whereas 88 vs a top 20 hand is a 54% favorite.

Pokerstove is great for calculating most of thes odds. For example your 88 hand was an 83% favorite vs the dominated 86s.

You were ahead in both hands when you got all in. So you have two cases of "right move, wrong result" I guess. Suited connectors, gappers and overcards allow for all kinds of horrible stuff to happen.

GL

Roland GTX

Old
Wed Aug 15, 2012, 05:54 AM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2012
with 2 suited cards the odds of making a flush by the river are 15 - 1 (or 6.4%).

Old
Wed Aug 15, 2012, 06:34 AM
(#6)
Since: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by will14m View Post
with 2 suited cards the odds of making a flush by the river are 15 - 1 (or 6.4%).
My mistkake Ed! Will14m is correct 6.4%.

Old
Wed Aug 15, 2012, 08:26 AM
(#7)
Since: Apr 2011
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poker_p..._hold_%27em%29

This is basic maths version LOL > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poker_probability

Who say's there no maths to poker!

Last edited by 0HighTimes0; Thu Aug 30, 2012 at 10:53 AM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com