Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

can i have avoided this.. did i do somethign wrong?

Old
can i have avoided this.. did i do somethign wrong? - Wed Aug 15, 2012, 06:37 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011

Old
Wed Aug 15, 2012, 09:18 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
Hey,

I thought you played the hand really well. Pre- and flop bets were good. When the villain min-raises your bet, the only hands he can be holding that beats you are trips (he would've raised pre with AA), but he could be doing this with many hands that you beat as well, so I see this play as a profitable one in the long run.

He played badly with 32, but you will be getting value from most 9x hands, most pairs and maybe overpaid connectors that flopped a draw.

Keep at it

James

Old
Wed Aug 15, 2012, 10:44 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Austerror!

With KK and a std raise in front of me, I'm going to 3-bet and size it at 3X the previous bet, so I'll raise to 270.

I pick up 2 players behind me, so I get to see the flop 4-way. The flop brings a three rainbow under cards. When it's checked to me, I'm going to make a c-bet and size it at 2/3 pot (my normal c-bet is 1/2 pot, but I'll raise it here to price out someone with 8T if they all stay).

I then get min-raised by the BB. With KK here and my c-bet putting me at the committment point, I'm more than happy to get it in with my KK and I'm going to shove over their min-raise every single time in this situation.

Unfortunately, the opp was extremely lucky to hit one of their 5 outs and to not have the board pair or bring a third K.

Good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Aug 15, 2012, 10:51 AM
(#4)
Since: Apr 2012
I'm kind of curious as to what tourney this was as it seems there are some weak players in the field.

I like the 3-bet pre and although it's a bit larger than I would have made it seeing you get 3 calls I guess in this game you have to bet big to get respect? Not loving the muti-way pot be we have a good hand. Flop comes down and on that kind of board I'm only really worried about sets which are difficult to make so against opponents who are going to pay you off with worse hands making a nice sized c-bet I would say is a good way to play it. Then the check-raise from the BB makes me feel a bit sick but perhaps you had a read that he was capable of bluffing? I would imagine from seeing the result that the villain is not your typical ABC type player and has maybe made some questionable plays already. Anyway, it looks like it's basically a set or a bluff and you called him on it and shipped, if he has a set "nice hand sir". The BB then makes another mistake by calling you and you get it in way ahead. This is basically the aim of the game so I would say, in my opinion, you played this just fine. In this case the opponent sucked out, bit harsh but that's poker. Take a note and walk it off.

I'm also curious to know if the villain had not sucked out would you question your play?

Tournament of Champions Winner 2013

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com