Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Live Game Sweats and Online Tournaments / Skill League /

PSO Open Skill League Cheats

Old
Question
PSO Open Skill League Cheats - Wed Aug 15, 2012, 02:15 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2010
Hi there,

I wrote a blog post here about something I noticed about the OSL MTTs. It could be considered a flaw or a loophole. I personally, would like it fixed and have proposed a solution.

What do you guys think?

Thanks for all your comments and opinions.

Old
Wed Aug 15, 2012, 02:43 PM
(#2)
Since: May 2012
I'll comment here because I'm busy playing in the Premier Skill League. I didn't read everything because what you mentioned in the first paragraph as cheating is something I wouldn't consider as cheating. I mean come on, it's like being discplined? It's more cheating abUSING the time bank in my opinion. It's their loss not playing an becoming a better player, what do they get from it? Ticket to hell because they don't know how to play, or they earn like 2 dollars? :P This isn't cheating.

Old
Wed Aug 15, 2012, 02:57 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
LOL.........LOL

First, it's NOT cheating, rules are rules and the time bank is there for all to use. As for the sit outs, lots do it, even in live poker
Second, your calculations are totally wrong, the higher you get in the standings, the less points you get. At one point, the sit out player will get negative points
Sit out players will never make it in the money, NEVER

We get that same story every month, nice try

Old
Wed Aug 15, 2012, 03:18 PM
(#4)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Using the time that a player is alloted is perfectly fine. It is NOT cheating, it's taking advantage of an asset that every player gets. A smart player will take advantage of everything that they can that is within the rules.

Players that clock and don't play hands may get some points early in the month, but as their rating gets higher and higher, they will get less and less points.

Sitting out will not get you to a high rating in the league, as if your point total goes up, it will start working against you. The higher your total is, the more it will get a player a negative or lower total.

The largest point jump is for getting ITM... and sitouts will not be able to get ITM.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Aug 15, 2012, 03:40 PM
(#5)
Since: Feb 2011
Sandtraps right, once you hit 1700 points in the league, you're no longer able to score positive points this way, and the norm is that you need ~1850 points to cash in the league, so its only partially viable and even with this help, you still need to carry yourself over the finishing line.

And on a side note, your not the first to notice this, its been discussed several times and frankly, its growing old. Unfortunately, you won't be the last to notice and complain.

'Cause I have done it before and I can do it some more I got my eye on the score'

Old
Wed Aug 15, 2012, 03:53 PM
(#6)
TarekGG: Yes, you are right, they don't get any benefit besides a couple of dollars but my point is that the couple of dollars should go to a player that has actually played in the tournaments, not just enter them and sit out.

Sandtrap777: Not cheating? OK, it's just a matter of semantics. Would you prefer the word "loophole"? How are my calculations wrong? Show me please, I (and I'm sure others) would like to understand this more. This has nothing to do with the time bank system. Yes, lots of players do it, that's my point.

JWK24: OK, again, cheating may not have been the right word choice. Are you saying that it is impossible to crack the top 2000 with this method? Last month, you needed ~1850 pts. to finish in the top 2000. Let's say for argument's sake that the 2001st player from last month (~1849 pts.) were to play in one more tournament with a field of 10000 and an average score of ~1524 pts. (the average of all players for July). He would still get a small positive score (~0.5 pts) and would finish ~1995th if the six players above him didn't play.

havocofsmeg: See my reply to JWK24 above.

Old
Wed Aug 15, 2012, 04:28 PM
(#7)
iggio,

Again, it's not cheating and it's not a loophole
I've been here for more than 2 years and NEVER seen anybody that sit outs every game, make it in the money...NEVER

You want proof.......LOL...Go read how points are calculated
Try it next month, we'll all watch you make NO money
You don't get the same amount of point for finishing EXACTLY in the same spot if you are in a different rank

Now, if you don't believe JW or Havoc or myself, gee I don't know what to say, but TRY IT and let us know......Oh I forgot, we already know...LOL

Good Luck

Here's a hint:
If you want to do better than a player who just sits out, just sit in but don't play a single hand and use your full allotted time without using your time bank and near the end start using your time bank bits by bits until you run out of time and chips.

You will finish in a much better position, but you will NOT WIN ANY MONEY

Last edited by Sandtrap777; Wed Aug 15, 2012 at 04:40 PM..

Old
Wed Aug 15, 2012, 04:38 PM
(#8)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap777 View Post
I've been here for more than 2 years and NEVER seen anybody that sit outs every game, make it in the money...NEVER
I agree 100%.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Aug 15, 2012, 08:33 PM
(#9)
Since: Apr 2010
Geez I laughed some much I nearly pished myself
Took me six months to work out that clocking is profitable , as points go
Welcome to the new improved PSO OSL , Open Skill League or Open Shove League with AA or KK in the first hour
If you can't beat them join them

ps another player who needs to get with the program

Old
Wed Aug 15, 2012, 09:00 PM
(#10)
Awright, so the consensus here seems to be that it's NOT a problem and that these players won't finish in the money. I was trying to show empirical evidence that the 2001st place player could in fact, make it ITM. Obviously, a lot of other players in the standings would be playing in the same tournament so there is no real way of showing absolutely that it is or isn't really possible to make cash by doing this unless PSO is willing to show us actual evidence.

Sandtrap, thank you for bringing up the "time bank strategy" (I've seen people using it). I think I will give it a go although it seems it would make for some really boring poker. I know you are well-respected member of this community and you keep saying my calculations are wrong. I have looked at the formulas in fact, and have used them in my "wrong" calculations. I am just trying to better understand the system, the choices that PSO made and how to possibly improve it. I also want to point out that "I've been here for more than 2 years and NEVER seen anybody that sit outs every game, make it in the money...NEVER" is a ridiculous statement imo. OK, so you never have seen it, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened and doesn't disprove my theory. If everyone were to listen to everything that our parents, teachers and the government told us without question, I don't think we would be where we are today. I question what I don't understand or find strange in an effort to understand it. I am not sheeple.

So am I totally out to lunch here and is none of what I am saying valid?

Last edited by iggyo; Wed Aug 15, 2012 at 09:18 PM..

Old
Wed Aug 15, 2012, 09:14 PM
(#11)
Since: Aug 2010
Im guilty of using time bank please don't get mad at me

spike is correct if you can't beat them just join them

so I join them

Old
Wed Aug 15, 2012, 10:01 PM
(#12)
2 ways you can find out

1) Look at all the games played by every player 2000 place and up and you'll see they all have played hands (games). I checked 20 of them and by looking at their points they definitely played and not sat out

OR

2) Next month play as many games as possible sitting out

Then you'll see we were right
Good Luck

Old
Wed Aug 15, 2012, 10:35 PM
(#13)
The empirical way to prove it is to demonstrate it - if you really believe this works, then try it for a month. If it works, then you've proved your point. You really should do the math first though.

Old
Wed Aug 15, 2012, 11:22 PM
(#14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iggyo View Post
Awright, so the consensus here seems to be that it's NOT a problem and that these players won't finish in the money.
Just to clarify, sitting out 100% will not get you in the real money in terms of finishing deep in the league (top 25ish) . Clocking properly however, has proven time and time again to get people in the big cashes (in terms of Open League).

This one is for spike, Vibrator time...

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzz

Old
Thu Aug 16, 2012, 12:16 AM
(#15)

Old
Thu Aug 16, 2012, 02:26 AM
(#16)
Registering in a tournament and sitting out every hand = NOT CHEATING.

Running the time clock down to a nub every hand if one chooses to do so= NOT CHEATING. On the contrary it's a viable strategy in a system that is about nothing but ladder climbing each and every month.

You're going to find players sitting out in pretty much every tournament you'll play online---freeoll or cash.

Instead of worrying about whether or not they're cheating (they're not...) may I suggest that you would be better served to try and develop a plan to take their dead money off their hands?

And your calculations for whether or not a player could make the money at the end of the month by sitting out every tournament (I and anyone who has ever grinded one or more of the leagues would tell you that if it's not impossible then it's rubbing right up against being impossible...) I have to ask...

...did you allow for the scoring throttles (chokes) in this hypothesis?

Are you aware that there are scoring throttles (chokes)?

Old
Thu Aug 16, 2012, 04:55 AM
(#17)
Since: Jan 2011
Abbott and Costello - Sat Apr 09, 2011, 12:27 PM

(#1)

wiseguyjim

Friend: "Hey Jim, how is that online poker treating you?"

Jim: "Pretty good, friend."

Friend: "Don't you do that poker school league?"

Jim: "I sure do."

Friend: "Do you enjoy it?"

Jim: "No, I only enter those to kill time."

Friend: "You only enter them because you are bored?"

Jim: "No, I enter them for the leaderboard money at the end of the month."

Friend: "Ooh, they pay you at the end of the month if you play well?"

Jim: "No, they pay me at the end of the month if I don't play."

Friend: "They pay you to not play? Then why do you keep entering them?"

Jim: "Because I want that leaderboard money."

Friend: "I thought you said they pay you if you don't play."

Jim: "That's right. "

Friend : "Why would they pay you for not playing?"

Jim: "They say smart players do not risk their tourney lives early."

Friend: "So you do enter those tourneys!"

Jim: "Yeah, I told you that."

Friend: "OK, I was confused. I thought you said you didn't play in them."

Jim: "Oh no, you don't want to play poker in those tourneys."

Friend: "Then which tourneys are you entering??"

Jim: "The poker school league."

Friend: "And that is the same league with the leaderboard money??"

Jim: "Correct."

Friend: "And they pay you to not play poker in them?"

Jim: "Correct again."

Friend: "But you enter them anyway?"

Jim: "Well, you have to enter in them."

Friend: "I thought you said they pay you to not play in those tourneys"

Jim: "Right. I am glad you are finally starting to understand!"

That was a week ago and my friend is still scratching his head over that conversation. Best of luck to everybody this month!

Read more: Abbott and Costello - PokerSchoolOnline Forum http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...#ixzz23hIwtdr9

Old
Thu Aug 16, 2012, 08:13 AM
(#18)
Since: Feb 2011
@easy that was by far one of the funniest dam threads this forum ever produced...why? @ iggy IT'S TRUE AS TRUE CAN BE. after a bit, you'll understand... Hopefully..lol gl out there.

May the tinfoil protect you. MT

Old
Thu Aug 16, 2012, 09:14 AM
(#19)
Since: Apr 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by iggyo View Post
Sandtrap, thank you for bringing up the "time bank strategy" (I've seen people using it). I think I will give it a go although it seems it would make for some really boring poker.
I think you should be playing cash games with that attitude. Tourneys last for hours, if u want to play every other hand you will get busted out easily. Not all are playing the league so you have to be extra careful as freeroll players will shove anything and theres probably 9,000 of them at any one time. Once you get a decent sized stack then you play the donks. Get a stack, play poker. Pretty standard tactics for a freeroll. Once you get over that hurdle, you get to play poker in the premier league without the freerollers Simples.

Old
Thu Aug 16, 2012, 03:22 PM
(#20)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyChips4U View Post
Abbott and Costello - Sat Apr 09, 2011, 12:27 PM

(#1)

wiseguyjim

Friend: "Hey Jim, how is that online poker treating you?"

Jim: "Pretty good, friend."

Friend: "Don't you do that poker school league?"

Jim: "I sure do."

Friend: "Do you enjoy it?"

Jim: "No, I only enter those to kill time."

Friend: "You only enter them because you are bored?"

Jim: "No, I enter them for the leaderboard money at the end of the month."

Friend: "Ooh, they pay you at the end of the month if you play well?"

Jim: "No, they pay me at the end of the month if I don't play."

Friend: "They pay you to not play? Then why do you keep entering them?"

Jim: "Because I want that leaderboard money."

Friend: "I thought you said they pay you if you don't play."

Jim: "That's right. "

Friend : "Why would they pay you for not playing?"

Jim: "They say smart players do not risk their tourney lives early."

Friend: "So you do enter those tourneys!"

Jim: "Yeah, I told you that."

Friend: "OK, I was confused. I thought you said you didn't play in them."

Jim: "Oh no, you don't want to play poker in those tourneys."

Friend: "Then which tourneys are you entering??"

Jim: "The poker school league."

Friend: "And that is the same league with the leaderboard money??"

Jim: "Correct."

Friend: "And they pay you to not play poker in them?"

Jim: "Correct again."

Friend: "But you enter them anyway?"

Jim: "Well, you have to enter in them."

Friend: "I thought you said they pay you to not play in those tourneys"

Jim: "Right. I am glad you are finally starting to understand!"

That was a week ago and my friend is still scratching his head over that conversation. Best of luck to everybody this month!

Read more: Abbott and Costello - PokerSchoolOnline Forum http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...#ixzz23hIwtdr9
Thanks for bringing this one back easy. Definitely one of the great posts ever.

WHEN US players finally get back on here I know I'm not alone in hoping that two of the first peeps we see return to the fold are Wiseapple and his Mrs.---the "Starchild".

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com