Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Implied odds in practice

Old
Implied odds in practice - Wed Aug 15, 2012, 07:59 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2012
Hi guys,

I recently watched Dave's (TheLangolier) training video on odds (http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...raining-videos) and in this hand I successfully put it into practice.

So was the Hubble's Freeroll:
http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/rep...ash=39BC7F8742

Let me start with some self-criticism: perhaps I should have folded that hand preflop at this blind level and position, and more so when the short stack (Player 8) min-bet. After I called the raise I thought "He might have AAs there and is trying not to chase people away with a shove". Anyway when the flop came and he did not c-bet I was relieved but still cautious.

Now on the turn I make a set but then that brought 4 diamonds on the board , so I decide to check and the villain (Player 5) who had just joined the table led out - pretty convenient since he was in position and no one had acted before him. At this point I started doing the calculations:

I had 10 outs (3 Ks, 3 8s, 3 As and 1 6) giving me about 20% hand equity. The pot was offering me about 24% (9000 into a pot of 37600), so I was getting -EV. But then I thought if I do hit my outs I might just be able to get all of his chips (especially if he held Qd), so with the implied odds I was getting about 11% (9000 into a 'prospective' pot of 83600) which was a +EV. So I called and then....BOOM....I hit!....and the rest is history.

I was happy after that hand..., although after I settled down I thought that was a risky play because he could have also just made Kings full on the river - or am I just overthinking things? ...anyway let me know what you think about the hand in general.

Thanks

Old
Wed Aug 15, 2012, 10:54 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi RFlush,

Your application of the odds is good, I don't mind check-calling 9K on the turn there. It is generally one of two things happening... either he is betting with a diamond in which case we may well get paid off if the board pairs, or he is just stabbing without a diamond, in which case we won't get paid off when we fill BUT he will fear our turn call means we have a diamond and will often check down the river for us. So we will have a decent chance to drag the pot when we're good and don't fill if he doesn't have the flush.

That being said, I'm not generally a big open limping small pairs preflop here. However it may be an ok adjustment in this type of event. I have no experience with the Hubble freeroll but from what I've heard on the forum here the play is atrocious. And I notice there's a bunch of limps behind you. If the field is super loose-passive, open limping might be an ok adjustment with 66 in EP on a 25bb stack. Open limping is just against my nature.

Dave

Edit: It's possible he's made a bigger full house but I think remote enough that we shouldn't worry too much about it. Mostly I expect him to show up with a flush at best here.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com