Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

$5.40 MTT turbo: standard reraise range?

Old
$5.40 MTT turbo: standard reraise range? - Fri Aug 17, 2012, 03:43 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2012
This was my fourth hand in an MTT. I had late regged so I was short stacked right from the start. I assumed the villian was primarily trying to steal the blinds and that the pot size and relative stacks made this a great spot for a reraise shove.

Typically, my shoving range on an unknown button in this spot would be any pp, Axs and A8o+. Does this sound about right, or should I loosen (or tighten) my range?

Thanks
Roland GTX

Old
Fri Aug 17, 2012, 07:18 AM
(#2)
Since: Nov 2007
Hi Roland,

The way you played this hand is very close to a popular move called "the unexploitable shove". Usually it is played by the small blind against the big blind or by the Button against the two blinds.

See here

I think in this case if i was first into the pot I would be shoving A7x, but opposite to yourself I would respect a raise without reads and probably would fold this spot.

It will be interesting to hear others' views and google is your friend if you want further info.

Cheers,

TC

Old
Fri Aug 17, 2012, 11:18 AM
(#3)
Hi Roland GTX,

I'm happy that you picked up on the fact that this is a great spot to shove all in,

Things to take into consideration here. The stack size of the BB. If the button is a good player he wont often be raise folding this spot, reason being is because it is quite likely either you or the BB that has only 12 bb's will shove all in.

So if a good player raises this spot I would more times than not give them credit for a strong hand as they know that it is likely they are going to be shoved on.

Less experienced players wont think this far into it which makes spots like these a fist pump shove.

My range here vs an unknown would be Axs,A7o+,QJo+ and any pocket pair.
If the BB had more chips this is also a good spot for a light reshove, 'suited connectors, any broadway'.

Hope this helps , cheers, Chris.

Old
Fri Aug 17, 2012, 03:23 PM
(#4)
Thanks for the tip topthecat. And, thanks for your input Chris!

I was happy to see my shoving range was fairly close to yours in this spot. I understand your point about good players intending to call when they make this btn raise. In this particular tourney the btn only minraised. Minraising so early in a tourney into two shortish stacks seemed like he planned on folding to a reraise (or had AA). As it turns out, he called with A10o, but I flopped a 7 for a nice double up. His minraise/call line surprized me so much that I needed to to check my shoving range by posting. Thanks for the confirmation

Roland GTX

Old
It's Later Than You Think & You Have Fold Equity - Sun Aug 19, 2012, 01:08 PM
(#5)
Since: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland GTX View Post
This was my fourth hand in an MTT. I had late regged so I was short stacked right from the start. I assumed the villian was primarily trying to steal the blinds and that the pot size and relative stacks made this a great spot for a reraise shove.
The BTN min raise seems quite normal with these stack sizes. It's also possible that he may have a plan to call the BB shove, but not the SB shove. Another possibility is for the BTN to raise fold to a very NITty BB shove. Getting to a new table (or late registration), without reads, is always tougher to play. But I think the biggest consideration here, is the fact that this is a 'Turbo', and the antes have already kicked in. If you pass up this opportunity, the next level (which may be sooner than later) you'll be sitting with an M of 5 (red zone). Without reads, in a turbo, facing a stack size that may PFR / fold, having a good re-shove stack (with fold equity) = 3-bet shove... good play!

A BTN that is willing to PFR with AT, and call an AI 3-bet vs. these blind sizes (effectively inducing) is making a mistake. At this point of the tourney, you don't want to induce a wide 3-bet shove with your AT. The BTN needs to apply max pressure, to reduce the chance of a SD vs. hands like KJ or QJ (which may very well 3-bet shove a PFR). Avoiding SD's while picking up chips is essential to playing better poker.

"May the cards be with you!"

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com