Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5nl AKo - Tough flop decision.

Old
5nl AKo - Tough flop decision. - Mon Aug 20, 2012, 10:36 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
Reads on villains are as follows...

BTN - Fishy player/Bad LAG, haven't got too many hands with him but from what I've seen so far seems to be a pretty bad player.

BB - Seems pretty solid so far running 20/15/5.3 with an AF 2.4 (over 59 hands). Seen him bet and raise strong hands but have yet to see him get all in or shove.

My image - I have been playing very tight compared to usual (been pretty card dead) I haven't seen many showdowns and haven't been involved in any big pots.

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

Pre flop I raise it up and get called by the BTN and BB. I Flop TPTK and then the BB does something I do not expect and leads out. I found it quite hard to range him and I think I may have made a mistake raising his donk.

I thought his range looked something like 77/88 AJs+ (perhaps not AKs he might 3-bet this pre) and AQo+. I don't think that he would call out of the BB with smaller aces that would make 2 pair such as A7s or A8s. Basically I weighted his range toward TP hands that I beat, I therefore raised for value.

However I'm unsure whether he donks the flop with 1 pair hands, should I have just flatted his raise in a hope of bringing in the weaker player on the BTN? Also by raising am I only getting action from parts of his range that are beating me? Also does he ever have bluffs/semi bluffs in his range when he donk leads he flop?

When he shoves I'm pretty unsure what to do, is he only shoving hands that beat me here or is it possible that he is overvaluing a TPGK hand. Also the SPR doesn't really warrant getting it in so is this a fold?

Thanks for any help.

Oliver

Follow me on: Twitter

Old
Mon Aug 20, 2012, 01:12 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Oliver,

Ok, so let's approach this hand with the assumption that the BB is a solid player since that is your read. This means a couple important things:

1. He is ranging us
2. He may have hands like A8s, A7s, and 87s in his range

The reason I think #2 is true is due to the presence of the huge fish calling... he wants to play pots with this player and also this makes the more marginal speculation hands playable imo.

Where #1 comes into play is that when we take the line you did, you're hand strength is basically face up, you're repping AK/AQ mostly which is what you have. If he's ranging you and is decent, this is exactly what your hand should look like to him and he doesn't care, he wants to play for stacks. So I think he's going to be showing us a set or 2 pair most of the time here. A solid player is never taking this line with AQ-A9 because they risk folding out the fish on the button AND only getting action from the better hands you hold and folding out all the worse hands.

So I think this is an easy fold tbh. You're crushed vs. 2 pair+. If we say he might also semi-bluff T9s this way you're still a 3-1 dog vs. that range.

As to the question about flop play, I would generally flat his donk bet for the reasons you said, it invites the fish to make a bad overcall, and it keeps the worse parts of the villains range in while controlling the pot in position vs. him... raising in this spot tends to put pressure on the fish to play correctly and fold marginal hands, and fold out the donk bettor's worse hands and only get action from his better hands allowing him to play correctly as well by turning your hand face up to a decent hand reader. As played, I think folding to the bet/3b jam line is correct here.

Dave

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Aug 20, 2012, 02:22 PM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2011
Hi Dave,

Cheers for the evaluation, always nice to have some wise words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
Ok, so let's approach this hand with the assumption that the BB is a solid player since that is your read. This means a couple important things:

1. He is ranging us
2. He may have hands like A8s, A7s, and 87s in his range

The reason I think #2 is true is due to the presence of the huge fish calling... he wants to play pots with this player and also this makes the more marginal speculation hands playable imo.
Didn't even think of him widening his range due to the fish.

Thanks again.

Oliver

Follow me on: Twitter

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com