Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Zoom advice...?

Old
Zoom advice...? - Mon Aug 20, 2012, 03:23 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
In the last week I've been quite busy and thus haven't had time to play as much as I'd like. To try and get some hand volume in I've been adding some zoom into my schedule and I've been quite surprised to how much I enjoy playing it.

I'm finding that straight forward abc play serves up a good winrate. So I think I'm going to add some more of it into my daily play as I feel it can greatly increase my winnings as of the increased volume. I'm going to start by watching the videos on zoom that are in the library.

Just looking for some tips to help me go forward, particularly on making player notes but also on anything zoom. I understand that a good way to make notes on players is go back and review hands that you didn't see but surely you cannot review every single hand from a session, especially if it is a long one it could literally be thousands of hands.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Oliver

Follow me on: Twitter

Old
Mon Aug 20, 2012, 10:40 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Hey Croyd ... the only thing I could think of is that sometimes I'll wait until it's my turn to act before folding. So then I'm at least stopping to take note of everybody's stats, positition, stuff I'm trying to remember to do differently, etc,etc. And that seems to be giving me enough time to make notes as I go too.

But I've also reduced the number of tables I play to just one, and my VPP's have gone down quite a bit.

So I don't know if that would help much ... I did try taking notes afterwards, but yeah, it would take forever!! Not really feasible, eh?

Last edited by TrustySam; Mon Aug 20, 2012 at 11:04 PM..

Old
Mon Aug 20, 2012, 11:13 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
I put some advice into this intro to Zoom here: Zoom Theory Video when it first rolled out, hope it helps.

Dave

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Aug 20, 2012, 11:23 PM
(#4)
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croyd93 View Post
I understand that a good way to make notes on players is go back and review hands that you didn't see but surely you cannot review every single hand from a session, especially if it is a long one it could literally be thousands of hands. :confused
True, reviewing thousands of hands after a session isn't practical, but you can still do a nice review in your stat tracker over a large sample if you're using one. I would start by sorting the session by pot size (in HEM it's $ Won) and review the biggest pots, then you can make notes right in your HUD on the players when appropriate. Without having a more specific target to look at, this is a nice place to review because you can sometimes find valuable notes here in hands you never saw having fast folded, and learning how villains play their big pots is going to give you an edge towards exploiting them at critical times.

Dave

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Aug 21, 2012, 10:08 AM
(#5)
Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to watch the video now, and then review my session from yesterday. I use HEM2 so I will look for big pots as advised, also do you know if there is a way to look for hands that went to showdown as this is were the majority of reads come from.

Thanks for all the help.

Oliver

Old
Thu Aug 23, 2012, 11:11 PM
(#6)
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croyd93 View Post
also do you know if there is a way to look for hands that went to showdown as this is were the majority of reads come from
I'm positive there is, although not sure if it's exactly the same as HEM1.

In the HEM1 filters you would go to the "More Filters" tab, scroll down to the bottom for "Other Filters", and select the "Players Saw Showdown is Bigger Than...", then set that to be bigger than 1. That would give you all showdowns regardless of how many players showed down.

Dave

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Aug 27, 2012, 05:30 PM
(#7)
Since: Aug 2010
What I personally do is use the Active Session tab of HEM2.
It show the last imported hands and you can select and right click -> mark -> select label. To mark the hand. Then when you are done with the session use the checkbox to filter on marked hands (above the recent hand section of the window with all the other buttons).

Then you can just replay them one by one and make notes where you want.

Old
Mon Aug 27, 2012, 05:37 PM
(#8)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi MadMike261!

Welcome to the forum. Here is a link that will help to get you familiar with many of the options that PSO has to offer.

Good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Aug 27, 2012, 06:44 PM
(#9)
If you hold the ctrl button when folding your hand in ZOOM you can watch until the hand ends, this should give you some time in which to make notes.
You are not dealt into the next hand until that one is over.

Hope this helps you ?

Old
Tue Aug 28, 2012, 12:12 PM
(#10)
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the advice, unfortunately I don't think this would be a good option for me simply due to the fast pace of zoom.

Also Bill thanks, I do sometimes use the watch hand feature if I see an interesting situation developing and I am going to fold. However I do fast fold quite a bit as it allows me to get a lot of volume in.

I'm currently using this filter to review my zoom sessions...

'Final pot size is greater than 20BB AND players who saw showdown is more than 1'

This allows me to see the bigger pots that were played and see what was showndown. Just wondering on everyone's thoughts on this, should I be looking at more than just this or is this filter okay?

Thanks again.

Oliver

Old
Wed Aug 29, 2012, 09:18 PM
(#11)
Since: Nov 2011
Hi Oliver

That is a good filter to use for the purpose of learning. I like to keep a notepad handy to jot down hands that I want to review later, whether the pot got large or not. Remember Zoom in man ways is as face paced as you want it to be. You can sit out next hand on all tables if you are involved in a big pot you need to focus on, for example.

Gareth

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com