Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

The big $5,50 bubble time

Old
The big $5,50 bubble time - Mon Aug 20, 2012, 04:21 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2011
Hey guys, this was on the bubbly of the big $5,50. There were 740 players left and 720 got money.
The raiser was 21/16, but seemed to be loosening up on the bubble. The caller was 18/12, but had only been at the table for 2 orbits. My image was that of a TAG, and the average stack in the tournament was about 20K

I decided to make a resteal, since the pot was quite big compared to my stack and i still had some fold equity

Was this a good oppurtunnity to resteal, or should i have been worried the button might be slowplaying to enduce me to shove? What is the worse hand i should be shoving with? Or should i only be dooing this if i had more chips?

Last edited by magiciantom; Mon Aug 20, 2012 at 04:29 PM..

Old
Mon Aug 20, 2012, 05:22 PM
(#2)
Since: Apr 2011
So close to the bubble I would not be trying to resteal here. Also, the fact that the guy had a large enough stack to make the call with a wide range of hands would put me off the resteal.

Old
Mon Aug 20, 2012, 06:00 PM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2012
Hey magiciantom

First thing first, I'm happy you noticed that this was on OK spot for a resteal as it's always our priority to be looking for +ev situations.

However, im not thrilled with the shove. Although it is an OK spot for the resteal I think we get looked up a lot and the reason for that is because it's an obvious restealing opportunity and if are opponents are aware that it is a good spot to reshove all in then they are likely to call you wider.

LP raises, BTN call, BB Shoves 10 - 20 bb's... how often do you this happen? From my experience it happens a lot.

If the two players involved are extremely laggy and have a high steal percentage then I don't mind going with the hand, especially if we think that there's a good chance we will get called with worse ( which did happen ).

But again because we 20 away from the money and this a very marginal spot to reshove I'm happy to fold.

If we were a few hundred players away from the money with similar player types to our right then shipping it seems a lot better.

Fwiw I'd be shipping in hands that are likely to be live/have good equity if we get called, hands like 98s/109s/J10s+QJo+

Cheers, Chris.

Last edited by ChewMe1; Mon Aug 20, 2012 at 06:03 PM..

Old
Mon Aug 20, 2012, 06:08 PM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2012
I'd be shoving any pocket pair regardless of the money bubble. If the money bubble was a significant chunk of our bankroll I would fold.. but if it's not then I love shipping any PP in this spot.

Cheers magiciantom

Old
Wed Aug 29, 2012, 12:52 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by magiciantom View Post
Was this a good oppurtunnity to resteal, or should i have been worried the button might be slowplaying to enduce me to shove?
Hi Tom,

If the button has only been at the table for 2 orbits, I don't think you have to worry about him flatting to induce a squeeze too often unless you've done this already since he arrived.

Chris makes a nice point that this situation is a commonly recognized squeeze spot however so we may get called lighter. I agree that normally I like to make this play with live card hands like 98s when restealing. However I think if we expect to maybe get called lighter then I don't mind a hand like A7 either, and think it may be slightly better? We have an ace blocker and the ability to be called and ahead more often by dominated aces and 2 broadways (case in point, this guy called off with QT).

Thoughts all??

Dave

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Aug 30, 2012, 07:19 PM
(#6)
Since: Apr 2012
I do see this as a good resteal spot since the original raiser will hate having to call with the button left to act and the button has a pretty wide range that we could be ahead of and get called with worse while still there's a chance of folding out better. However, so close to the bubble and with a relatively short stack is it really worth it? Personally, I would give up here and just make sure of a cash. Even if we're bankrolled for this it's still foolish IMO to risk the practically garunteed profit of a min cash for the chance to be at best average stack in what is still a relatively large feild of 740 players.

Tournament of Champions Winner 2013

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Aug 30, 2012, 07:34 PM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Against a tight opp, I'm waiting for either a better hand or for the bubble to burst.

If the opp was loose, I'd be more inclined to play it, but not against a TAG.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Aug 31, 2012, 02:29 AM
(#8)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
I've got my most awesome notes on resteals from watching Chewme's epic vids. So here's the stuff we're supposed to ideally look for in a resteal opportunity (although Chewme emphasized that the criteria is fluid):

1. Around 20bb's (for maximum fold equity)
2. Holding 99+, AQ+ as a back-up in case there's a call
3. Dealing with late position raisers who look to be stealing light
4. With similar-sized stacks (so they'd be about all-in)
5. And who preferably have a history of limp-folding
6. And who are scared of busting out before the bubble.

I also have stuff on big stack play too, and I guess ... not sure, but maybe a lot of people on the button with that sized stack holding QTs might have 3bet into the CO? And so maybe the fact that the button just called maybe shows that they might not have been aware that usually if a short-stack shoves close to the bubble that's supposed to mean they have a really good hand, and stuff like that?

Like maybe this button was more inclined to call?

I don't know ...

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com