Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / New Members /

any advice would be great

Old
any advice would be great - Tue Aug 21, 2012, 02:11 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2010
hey guys new to the poker school quite anyway cut to the point i recently about 2 months ago won a $2.20 6-max mtt around 1300 runners for $742 was over the moon as you would be anyways sat down at two 50-1 $20 cap tables and before i knew it i was $200 or so down if i ad kk some one had aa or hit a better set or straight i just kept getting beat no matter what i had may have been playin position rong or playing badly i dont know then entered a few tournaments was getting donked left right and center so i was 300 or more down by this point so i jumped in to a $109 1r1a tournament and loved playing in this you got respect for raises and the play was amazing i cashed in tat nothing major doubled up then went back to cash tables and did some more tourneys and by the next day back to zero again what do u think i did rong and how do i not make the same mistake again any tips advice on what u think i did rong would be great thanks guys

Old
Tue Aug 21, 2012, 02:58 PM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2011
I'm guilty of this too not near to the extent as you but,you used extremely bad bankroll management. You played games that were well above your roll and when a bad streak hit, you compounded the problem by going up in stakes intstead of down. Caps are a high variance game, and should be played somewhere in the range of having a 2000 bb roll. You had about 700. Then in an attempt to "make up" your losses you entered a $100 1r1a tourney? Not good then went back to cash tables (you dont tell us at what level but i'm guessing the same maybe 100 nl) & blink and your broke. I suggest watching some bankroll mngmt. vids and doing some reading up on good bankroll mngmt. You'll soon discover w/o it, your roll is most likely doomed. Gl out there. MT

May the tinfoil protect you. MT

Old
Welcome - Tue Aug 21, 2012, 03:06 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi stedds. Welcome to the PSO forum. There is a lot of information here to help you become a winning player. Get an idea of how the site is organized here.

Probably the most important thing you can learn to make you a wionning player is bankroll management. The basics of this can be found here and here. At the start of your online poker playing it might be wise to be more conservative as these guidlines are a minimum recomendation.

Good luck
Doug

3 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Aug 21, 2012, 03:06 PM
(#4)
Since: Nov 2007
Two words: bankroll management.

No disrespect but just because you won an MTT you have not suddenly become Phil Helmut just like that! Playing above your bankroll and skill level is a sure way to go busto.

As a guide never sit down with more than 10% of your bankroll. You should have a minimum 40 buy ins for cash so if you sit at the 2 cent tables you need $80. For SnGs you should have 50 buy ins and for MTTs 100 buy ins. So you should have had at least a bankroll of $10,000 to play the MTT levels you were playing!!!!

Take you time and use the resources here to learn the game and proper bankroll management.

Good luck,

TC

Here is a video that will help but I do not believe the buy ins quoted are conservative enough unless you are an established winning player.

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...Poker-Bankroll

Cheers,

TC

Last edited by topthecat; Tue Aug 21, 2012 at 03:11 PM..

Old
Tue Aug 21, 2012, 03:25 PM
(#5)
thanks guys as clearly stated i went silly not thinking of the basics and thought i was a wrecking machine something i will most deffo learn from been studying alot of cash table videos by flixx and frosty and watched a few mtt with chewme1 and a few others i just cant seem to stop getting donked ive tightened up my early stage play to premium hands aa kk ak aq jj qq but quite alot of the time u dont hit these hands so ur blinds are dropping all the time then when it comes to getting a hand having around 10bb ish most are playing double triple and more and they just call you for the fun usually more than one aswell then thr tourneys over same with this open skill league just idiots raising all in every hand blinds 10 20 u raise 60 they shove no 3 bet 4 bet :/ its like what do u do

Old
Tue Aug 21, 2012, 03:30 PM
(#6)
and i went back to 50-1 $20 cap again after i cased the $100 1rebuy 1 addon

Old
Tue Aug 21, 2012, 03:41 PM
(#7)
Since: Nov 2007
Well stedds,

The Open Skill is a peculiar type of beast. There are so many calling stations playing that even your premium hands can easily get crushed a lot of the time. I would even fold my monsters early, certainly in multi-way pots and would always be endeavouring to get a heads up scenario.

I would start small maybe the 25cent 45 mans or 2nl if you have the bankroll for it. Try not to be too fancy, fancy moves don't work at these levels the majority of the time. Just play solid poker and try and grow your bankroll. The best way of learning is to start at the bottom and take it from there.

Cheers,

TC

Old
Tue Aug 21, 2012, 03:58 PM
(#8)
thanks mate will take all into account will start low and work my way up then ask for more advice on what to do next

Old
Tue Aug 21, 2012, 04:16 PM
(#9)
Since: Feb 2011
Also stedd I suggest watching dave (thelangolier) 's training vid(s) on managing a short to medium stack in mtts. Gl MT

May the tinfoil protect you. MT

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com