Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5NL zoom

Old
5NL zoom - Tue Aug 21, 2012, 06:08 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2011

I thought he couldnt have AA or KK for those hand would have 3 bet me preflop. So only this could be me was QT but he could maybe have some two pair combos. SO was my play correct

Old
Tue Aug 21, 2012, 09:07 PM
(#2)
Since: Nov 2011
Hey Animosama

Tough spot!

I think here on the turn we should consider going all in or folding. I think this is a classic spot where calling is the 'compromise' play and is our worst option of the three.

If we go all-in then we don't lose value from a hand like AK or AJ or 77 when a four to a straight or three to a flush card comes on the river and we check to him. There are a lot of cards like that. We also get all the money in now and ensure we don't make mistaken check-folds on the river. Against QT we have 10 outs now and about ~22% equity.

I think this is a good spot to talk about combinations a bit. When the board is three cards to a straight often the player's range is more straight heavy than you would expect because of the combinations.

For example on this board there are only 3 combinations of 77, 9 combinations of AK, but 16 combinations of QT! Can you count them all?

If you think he would 3b AA/KK, wouldn't he also 3b AK sometimes?

A lot to think about in this hand, but I think the main thing is to either go all-in or fold on the turn, and not call out of position and check the river. I would fold a fair amount of the time but I don't know this player. He certainly looks strong !

Gareth

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com