Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

hand analysis

Old
hand analysis - Thu Aug 23, 2012, 03:58 AM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2011
hello there

I would appreciate any comments for the hand played

PokerStars Hand #85111770424: Tournament #613010074, $3.00+$0.30 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level XIV (250/500) - 2012/08/23 10:30:41 EET [2012/08/23 3:30:41 ET]
Table '613010074 107' 9-max Seat #6 is the button
Seat 1: kurokira (20152 in chips)
Seat 2: Elgeborg2 (26769 in chips)
Seat 3: guruana (11626 in chips)
Seat 4: bluffroberts (7757 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 5: toticol (40967 in chips)
Seat 6: rochador (6470 in chips)
Seat 7: m.dufek (49175 in chips)
Seat 8: ugene888 (44733 in chips)
Seat 9: lucky_elijah (20609 in chips)
kurokira: posts the ante 60
Elgeborg2: posts the ante 60
guruana: posts the ante 60
bluffroberts: posts the ante 60
toticol: posts the ante 60
rochador: posts the ante 60
m.dufek: posts the ante 60
ugene888: posts the ante 60
lucky_elijah: posts the ante 60
m.dufek: posts small blind 250
ugene888: posts big blind 500
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to guruana [Jh Js]
lucky_elijah: folds
kurokira: folds
Elgeborg2: folds
guruana: raises 650 to 1150
bluffroberts: folds
toticol: calls 1150
rochador: raises 5260 to 6410 and is all-in
m.dufek: folds
ugene888: folds
guruana: raises 5156 to 11566 and is all-in
toticol: calls 10416
*** FLOP *** [Qh 3h 5c]
*** TURN *** [Qh 3h 5c] [Ad]
*** RIVER *** [Qh 3h 5c Ad] [8d]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
guruana: shows [Jh Js] (a pair of Jacks)
toticol: shows [Qs Qc] (three of a kind, Queens)
toticol collected 10312 from side pot
rochador: shows [Td Ts] (a pair of Tens)
toticol collected 20520 from main pot
guruana finished the tournament in 576th place
rochador finished the tournament in 577th place
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 30832 Main pot 20520. Side pot 10312. | Rake 0
Board [Qh 3h 5c Ad 8d]
Seat 1: kurokira folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: Elgeborg2 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: guruana showed [Jh Js] and lost with a pair of Jacks
Seat 4: bluffroberts folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: toticol showed [Qs Qc] and won (30832) with three of a kind, Queens
Seat 6: rochador (button) showed [Td Ts] and lost with a pair of Tens
Seat 7: m.dufek (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 8: ugene888 (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 9: lucky_elijah folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Old
Thu Aug 23, 2012, 04:27 AM
(#2)
Since: Nov 2007
Hi guruana,

Is this the Open League?

There are two ways to look at this:

The villain is under 10 big blinds, he should be looking for spots to shove and his range should be fairly wide in normal circumstances. Without reads I would make the call as I have him covered.

The alternative is to fold. I would only do this if the player is very nitty and only shoving the very top of his range and I have a definite read that this is the case. Then I would fold to his 3bet with Jacks.

I hope that this helps.

Cheers,

TC

Old
Thu Aug 23, 2012, 04:43 AM
(#3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by topthecat View Post
Hi guruana,

Is this the Open League?

There are two ways to look at this:

The villain is under 10 big blinds, he should be looking for spots to shove and his range should be fairly wide in normal circumstances. Without reads I would make the call as I have him covered.

The alternative is to fold. I would only do this if the player is very nitty and only shoving the very top of his range and I have a definite read that this is the case. Then I would fold to his 3bet with Jacks.

I hope that this helps.

Cheers,

TC
Hello TC,

Thanx for your prompt reply

It's not the open league

I didnt really you comment about his 3 bet. I was the one who 3 bet

But actually my concern was about the player "toticol". As he called my 3bet should I have fold my Jacks?

Br

Old
Thu Aug 23, 2012, 04:55 AM
(#4)
Since: Nov 2007
Hi guruana,

You're welcome I think you made the initial raise, your opponent 3 bet you. The advice remains the same whatever the terminology but one of the hand analysis team may have different advice than what I offered.

Thanks,

TC

Old
Thu Aug 23, 2012, 10:35 AM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
**moved to more appropriate section JWK24**

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Aug 23, 2012, 11:39 AM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi guruana!

What kind of reads did you have on these players? This information would be helpful in determining my course of action in the hand, as I would play it differently if the opponents were tight or loose.

With JJ into an unopened pot from MP, I'm going to make my standard open-raise, which for me at this blind level is to 2.5BB+1BB for each limper, so I'd raise to 1250.
I then get flatted and have a 10BB stack shove. The read that I would want to have is not on the player that shoved 10BB, but toticol, the one that flatted my raise. Is this player playing tight or loose? Are they a calling station?

If the opp was loose or a calling station, then I would reshove here, hoping to isolate the short stack... but if the other opp comes along, then I'm going to be putting 11566 into a pot of 30832 (37.5%). From pokerstove, with two wide ranges (I used 30% hands for both), I have over 50% equity... so it is a +EV play to reshove.

If the opp was playing very tight, then the opp's flat of my bet would be sending off alarm bells for me. A tight opp should want to 3-bet to isolate me, since I was the one that open raised. I then go back into pokerstove and I'll keep a top 30% hand for the short stack and use a top 5% hand for the tight opp. I get 38.6% equity, which would be a very slight +EV play to reshove, however.. I'm now not the favorite in the hand.
With not being the favorite to win the hand and only a very small expected gain +1%EV, having my tourney life be on the line, I'm going to fold to the short stack shove here and let the other opp call their all-in, as they should have a hand that would call.
This also leaves me with a 20BB stack, which is a very playable amount of chips, especially for a re-steal.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Aug 24, 2012, 06:37 AM
(#7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
Hi guruana!

What kind of reads did you have on these players? This information would be helpful in determining my course of action in the hand, as I would play it differently if the opponents were tight or loose.

With JJ into an unopened pot from MP, I'm going to make my standard open-raise, which for me at this blind level is to 2.5BB+1BB for each limper, so I'd raise to 1250.
I then get flatted and have a 10BB stack shove. The read that I would want to have is not on the player that shoved 10BB, but toticol, the one that flatted my raise. Is this player playing tight or loose? Are they a calling station?

If the opp was loose or a calling station, then I would reshove here, hoping to isolate the short stack... but if the other opp comes along, then I'm going to be putting 11566 into a pot of 30832 (37.5%). From pokerstove, with two wide ranges (I used 30% hands for both), I have over 50% equity... so it is a +EV play to reshove.

If the opp was playing very tight, then the opp's flat of my bet would be sending off alarm bells for me. A tight opp should want to 3-bet to isolate me, since I was the one that open raised. I then go back into pokerstove and I'll keep a top 30% hand for the short stack and use a top 5% hand for the tight opp. I get 38.6% equity, which would be a very slight +EV play to reshove, however.. I'm now not the favorite in the hand.
With not being the favorite to win the hand and only a very small expected gain +1%EV, having my tourney life be on the line, I'm going to fold to the short stack shove here and let the other opp call their all-in, as they should have a hand that would call.
This also leaves me with a 20BB stack, which is a very playable amount of chips, especially for a re-steal.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)
Hello John,

Thank you very much for your reply

As I remember the player was tight, so I would have better fold indeed.

I'll keep it mind for the next time

Cheers

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com