Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Thoughts on my play

Old
Thoughts on my play - Sun Aug 26, 2012, 03:09 PM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2011
Battle of the Planets Freeroll Final, I lasted 5 hands, very disappointed with my play but it was a shootout and I went for the win. I'll give my own thoughts after each hand but I'd like other feedback.

I have no notes on any players at this table and I'm not using a HUD.

Hand 1:

Min raise and I floated the flop hoping to improve but I did call his raise with the sole intention to check raise bluff him. I hit a monster but could I have extracted any more/ done better?
----------------------------------------
Hand 2

Maybe not worth watching as it was a walk for my opponent but it gave me a flavour of his playing style. which cost me later.

Hand 3

No info off this hand.

Hand 4

I'm annoyed by this hand. My standard raise at this stage is 60 but I represented the A. Goliath had shown to be loose aggressive so I didn't believe him, I think I made a major mistake on this hand but thoughts please.

Hand 5 - Exit hand.

My image at this stage is loose but did I make a mistake? I thought of a QQQ FH but then called. My flop bet was the same I had made before, I didn't want to pot bet in case someone picked this up as a tell.

Thoughts please.

Old
Sun Aug 26, 2012, 03:12 PM
(#2)
Sorry, noticed the names have been changed to protect the innocent. Maybe a bit harder to comprehend but I suppose fair.

Old
Sun Aug 26, 2012, 04:12 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
Hand #1

Okay, just my opinion, and that's worthless since I'm American. You made the right call on the pre flop. Two times the blind isn't too intimidating, and you have a modest hand with the ace-ten.

You're going on an inside straight, not wise. He does make it cheap, so it is worth the play to see the turn.

The inside hit, talk about luck. Then you let him off the hook. The only thing that can hurt is the flush. Stop him by opening the betting. Since he opened last round with $80, I would have gone no less than $150. You want him out of the hand, not drawing to that flush. At worse, you should have raised him to $300.

Yipe. At this point, you are facing a straight versus heart flush. I would be thinking he doesn't have it as the flush is coming off a runner-runner board. To push him gives you valuable insight. If he reraises, he has the flush. A call means trips at best. Good play.

Hand #2

I'm thinking this a mistake. You have connectors and are the small blind. I'm calling. I will most likely fold to a big raise, but my gut tells me he is checking. It is worth seeing the flop.

Hand #3

With 6-4 offsuit, I'm folding too. Only way to improve that is through the RNG. Not worth the price. Good call.

Hand #4

A fair to poor hand with suited connectors, though you do have the late position. I'm calling, not raising. Too many overcards and no flop shown yet. It might frighten anyone without at least one royal card.
You have two callers, one the blind. I would be going with caution post flop.

I wish I had that kind of luck. My suited hands seldom come up with a 4-card flush. Mid pair and mid flush, both worth a bet. To me, a bet of $75 - $100 would be good, but yours is reasonably close, so I'm doing the same as you.

Two callers and two pairs. Somebody has an ace. That's my thought. But an aggressive bid might show me if I'm right. Looks like a reasonable call from my perspective. It does eliminate one more player, which makes the river card head to head. With top two cards paired and a 4-card flush, I'm feeling good. 13 outs = 26% probability of hitting. Those sound good to me.

Was doing snoopy happy-dance with the full house. Yeah, hard to put down. (Censored) guy had the opposite house and the higher hand. Well, I did say on the turn I thought somebody had the ace. Unfortunately, I was right. On hindsight, you couldn't get him off that hand regardless of your play. You lost the hand at the turn. He managed to catch you on anticipation. I would be doing the same.

Hand #5

First off, your stake is gutted. You need something good. Ace - high and suited fits the bill. I'm doing like you, calling a small raise. It is a good hand to see the flop, but I want it cheap.

I'm thinking great flop. I would most likely be going all-in at this stage. Don't want anyone going for the possible flush. Make it too expensive to play "wing and a prayer with four clubs."

To me, that bet said I'm trying to steal. If I have four clubs or a queen, I'm calling to see the next card.

The turn is a killer. Not only are you facing a 4-card flush, but now a possible straight. The post flop error is gonna bite right now. You are already pot committed. Pull out and you're praying. Stay in, and you might need a miracle.

The slow play when short gave your opponent his opening. Though with a 4-card straight on the flop, I seriously doubt he would fold. Even if he lost, he has a good stake. So he was all to gain and nothing to lose.

On retrospect, he probably committed himself after the flop too and would have called your all-in. Either way, it was a losing hand.

Old
Mon Aug 27, 2012, 10:41 AM
(#4)
Thanks for the feedback. I rarely overbet a pot as pot betting doesn't give odds odds for anything but a straight flush draw on the flop so I don't like the all in move you suggested as the only hands that usually call will be ahead of me.

I didn't give my opponent odds on my final hand but he did like I done in the first hand and floated a card trying to improve and maybe out playing me on the turn.

Even after 4 hands I know my image was loose aggressive. I didn't plan it that way, in a STT I'm normally the rock at the start of a tournie and a loose aggressive when I get to the bubble. As this was a winner takes all I knew I had to change my game slightly but I still didn't mean to be so loose aggressive.

Thanks for your input, I needed to vent my frustration somewhere. I didn't make the Battle of the Planets Leaderboard last week but I didn't play much, I'll give it a go this week and hopefully get another ticket to next months $50k. I know I'm capable of cashing in this even though I'm micro stakes.

Old
Mon Aug 27, 2012, 11:06 AM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Ovalman!

Hand 1: I'll fold preflop to a raise here everytime. I'm out of position and don't want to be playing a hand early that can have huge kicker problems.

Hand 2: instant fold preflop

Hand 3: instant fold preflop

Hand 4: Preflop, I'm making a standard raise to 60. When players change their betsizes from a standard one, it's a tell on the strength of their hand. More is a better hand, less is a marginal hand. A lower one screams weak A, low pair or suited connector.
The flop gives me mid pair and a flush draw. When it's checked to me, I'm going to peel a free card here. Either opp could have an A with a bad kicker and be ahead of me and a bet over 1/2 pot prices ME out (makes drawing at the flush a -EV play for me).
Same thing on the turn. I'm peeling a card because I don't want to bloat a pot with a -EV draw for myself.
The river gives me the bottom full house. Here, I will call a smaller bet by the opp or make a value bet if the opp would have checked. I am not calling a shove here, as A/rag is definitely in the opp's range and if so, I'm crushed.

Hand 5: I'm going to make a 3-bet preflop here. I want to narrow the field and hopefully get to play the hand in position, so I'm going to raise to 120.
The flop gives me trips, but there is a flush draw. This is a great example of why I want to raise preflop. With 4 opps in the hand with me.... I cannot bet enough to price out all of the opps and make them have a -EV play! When I'm in this type of situation, I'll make a pot-sized bet (my std bet for this scenario), as that will price out the maximum number of opponents at the smalles price for my stack.
The turn completes a straight, but since I'm now HU against only one opp that checks to me, I can make a bet to price them out and will bet 1/2 pot here.
The opp now shoves over me. It will cost me 455 chips more into a pot of 1918 to call (23.7%). If the opp hit the straight, I have 10 outs to improve (20% equity), but there are also other hands in the opp's range that I'm ahead of. These hands will raise my hand equity %... so I'm calling their shove here.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Aug 27, 2012, 11:08 AM
(#6)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovalman View Post
I didn't give my opponent odds on my final hand
With 4 opps in the hand, it is impossible to price them all out on the flop.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Aug 27, 2012, 11:12 AM
(#7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
With 4 opps in the hand, it is impossible to price them all out on the flop.

John (JWK24)
I was referring to 1 opponent calling. I don't like a shove mainly because I still want to pot build while not give odds to one opponent with 8 outs. I was worried about the full house TBH.

Old
Mon Aug 27, 2012, 11:22 AM
(#8)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovalman View Post
I was referring to 1 opponent calling. I don't like a shove mainly because I still want to pot build while not give odds to one opponent with 8 outs. I was worried about the full house TBH.
Watch out with assuming that only 1 opp will call... that will get a player into trouble (learned that one the hard way). Early in a tourney, especially a freeroll, it's most likely not going to happen.
With multiple opps like this, a shove will price out the same number of opps as a pot-sized bet and with that being the case, I want to bet the smallest amount that will price out the maximum number of opps (3). The pot-sized bet lets me both build a pot and price out the maximum opps that I can price out.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Aug 28, 2012, 12:28 PM
(#9)
I do generally pot size my bets on the flop as it charges a premium but as I had been in a few pots and I was aware of my image and I had made the same Cbet in an earlier hand when I missed. I got greedy

As to the freeroll aspect, it was a freeroll that was worth an $80 buy in and I knew my opponents were decent players. It's hard enough cashing in a 9 seat STT never mind winning 3 in a row. I'm not disappointed missing out on the cash but I am a bit peeved about how I played. If I play again I'll try my usual strategy. The win will come, I'm confident of it.

Thanks for the input guys.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com