Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2NL 88 looking to call to set mine in mult-way 3 bet pot

Old
2NL 88 looking to call to set mine in mult-way 3 bet pot - Mon Aug 27, 2012, 02:18 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2011

Should I have called ?

Old
Mon Aug 27, 2012, 03:20 PM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2011
Well, according to far superior poker minds than mine, you should be looking to get 15+:1 implied odds to strictly setmine. You were getting just better than 10:1 on your 18¢ call. (your the effective stack) unless you thought if you hit, two of your opponents would probably stack off, I would have to say the answer to your question is no.

May the tinfoil protect you. MT

Old
Tue Aug 28, 2012, 02:07 PM
(#3)
Since: Nov 2011
I would think this is fairly close.

We have a few options actually.

1. Folding ... by definition this has an expected value of 0. The money we already put in the pot isn't ours anymore and we can't win or lose anymore money either.

2. Calling ... our hand plays very poorly postflop given our position, the worst position in many respects. We will not flop a set that often and what's more, sometimes when we do we won't flop the best hand.

3. Raising all-in. We have a strong hand and there is a lot of money in the middle. The initial raiser and flat caller have not reopened the action, as we would expect them to do with their strongest pairs. The times we pick up all the dead money in the middle are going to overlay the times we get the money in bad. I would consider this the clear play had we a hand like AK or JJ. How wide we would like to go with that depends on your read of the squeezer and the initial raiser. Would the initial raiser play QQ fast? Would he call the three-bet with all his opening hands? Does the squeezer have hands as weak as KJ or does he always do this with premiums? Lots of questions. If you can answer them in the right way we can raising all-in with weaker and weaker hands. 88 here is better than AQ in terms of making this play, if only by a little.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com