Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

A question about pre-flop hand strength

Old
A question about pre-flop hand strength - Tue Aug 28, 2012, 12:42 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2012
I watched a video about calculating pre-flop hand winning probabilities here before renovation and saw that the pre-flop winning probability of winning with a small pair (eg. a 22 pair) against AKs is 50.2% against 49.5% which means pairs always dominate unpaired in pre-flop. I would like to know why according to The Starting Hands Guide, it seems that we can be more speculative when we have AK than we have mid pairs and also when we have mid aces than we have small pairs?

Thank you very much!!

Old
Tue Aug 28, 2012, 05:51 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi HaryTradr!

The reason for being more speculative with a hand like AK is that when I hit a pair with it, it's going to be top pair.

For example, if I have AK vs 22 and I get an A or K on the flop without hitting a 2.... from pokerstove, my hand equity then goes up to 89.68% after the flop, which makes me a huge favorite to win the hand.

With small pairs, the opp will normally have two overcards or have me dominated and if they hit one of their overcards, then I only have two outs to improve.

Hope this helps.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Aug 29, 2012, 05:09 AM
(#3)
Thanks John. I understand what you mean, but taking into account of the probabilities of hitting a pair with a hand like AK and the rise of hand equity, small pairs still has higher winning probabilities compared to AK. As with higher winning probabilities and thus expected profit, why shouldn't we be more speculative with small pairs than AK in pre-flop stage?

Old
Wed Aug 29, 2012, 07:11 AM
(#4)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi HaryTradr!

No, especially if it's a multi-way pot. A small pair is only slightly ahead of AK if heads-up. When it's a multi-way pot, the odds of winning with a small pair drop dramatically.

ex: say we're in a 4-handed pot. 22 vs AK vs a top 20% hand vs a top 20% hand.
22 will only win 25.3% of the time, while AK will win 28% of the time

The more people that are in a pot, the worse a small pair will play.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Aug 30, 2012, 04:51 AM
(#5)
Thank you so much John!!
It's a great insight. May I know how do you calculate multi-way pot odds? You list out all the combinations of different hands or you use an odds calculator? If you use calculator, do you have any recommendation?

Old
Thu Aug 30, 2012, 08:05 AM
(#6)
There is an odds calculator on this site. The link is at the very bottom right of the home page.

Doug

3 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Aug 30, 2012, 08:49 AM
(#7)
Since: Feb 2011
Pokerstove is probably the most widely used equity calculator out there. Just go to pokerstove.com and download it. You can check specific hands or ranges against your holdings (preflop) against just one or multiple opponents. It only takes a few seconds to do AND ITS FREEEEE! enjoy your new toy!
Ps. There's a video here in the archives to help you learn how to use it faster if you wish. I think its under thelangolier's videos.

May the tinfoil protect you. MT

Last edited by mtnestegg; Thu Aug 30, 2012 at 08:57 AM..

Old
Thu Aug 30, 2012, 09:51 AM
(#8)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Here is a link to the video that MT mentioned.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Aug 30, 2012, 12:37 PM
(#9)
Since: Feb 2011
thanks jdub! There's also a great app at the google play store if You happen to have a smart phone its called (poker equity calculator by mamuso) (also free) and works in much the same way as pokerstove. You can also enter hands or ranges in by position which is nice too. I like it alot better than tha poker stove app for droid because stove's app is only for one opponent & has a bunch of silly useless sounds that as far as I can tell cannot even be turned off if you wanted to But anyway there's a couple of options for ya to ponder

May the tinfoil protect you. MT

Last edited by mtnestegg; Thu Aug 30, 2012 at 12:40 PM..

Old
Tue Sep 04, 2012, 08:55 PM
(#10)
Thank you so much to all of you I will definitely have a try!!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com