Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2nl Zoom - KQ small blind. Flop 2 pair.

Old
2nl Zoom - KQ small blind. Flop 2 pair. - Mon Sep 03, 2012, 08:26 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

Pre flop is pretty standard, I don't want to 3-bet and bloat the pot OOP with a medium strength hand and my hand is too strong to fold.

Then bingo I flop 2 pair. I decided to check, going for the sneaky check raise, as I felt he would be c-betting this board quite a bit. Unfortunately he doesn't oblige so I miss out on a street of value, was it okay to go for a checkraise on this board or would it have been better to donk the flop?

After my failed c/r on the flop, I lead the turn for 2/3 pot he calls and the 2c hits the river. The 2c is a pretty big blank so I decide to go for value again and bet 20c (2/3 pot again). He then min raises me, at the micros this is indicative of strength and yet he has been very passive throughout the hand. I don't think I can fold to this bet, but can I raise for value?

Thanks for any help.

Oliver

Follow me on: Twitter

Old
Mon Sep 03, 2012, 10:11 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2011
I would lead out 100% of the time here. Normal cash it might be different if you have reads and the opponent cbets most of the time. But on zoom I'd be donking in on the flop.

Also i think a check-raise looks a little stronger and may fold out his more marginal hands whereas donking out could get called.

Turn bet fine, and river bet fine.

Usually I'm worried on a raise on turn or river, however if we think what hands beat us. AJ, J9 and sets. AJ and J9 i think are betting the flop. Pocket K's Q's or T's probably would as well.

88 could definitely be in this range as the flop was checked, 22 as well might call one street if he thinks your just bluffing at it.

But then there are hands like AK, AQ, KT, QT, K8, Q8, JJ, all these are reasonable hands i think. He could also have KQ same as you.

I would be calling the raise, but i wouldn't be 3 betting, if we 3bet i think were folding out the worse hands, and he'll continue with hands that beat us. Clicking it back might work as the hands we beat would probably still call just to see a showdown, but then what do we do if he just shoves the remainder of his stack?
So calling here is good.

Last edited by craig121212; Mon Sep 03, 2012 at 10:18 PM..

Old
Tue Sep 04, 2012, 01:16 PM
(#3)
Since: Nov 2011
This is a spot that I wouldn't be too confident in playing myself since I am not sure of opponent tendencies at this level. In any case, I would never raise. There is a big difference here between calling and raising.

To call we simply need to have a higher chance of winning the pot than the price our opponent is laying us. On the river the pot is 90 cents and we have to call 20 cents to win. This means we have to have the best hand, to make a +EV call, 20/110, or 18.2% of the time. To find this number you can take the price it costs you to call and divide it by the size of the pot, plus the call.

In any case, against his raising range, we only need 18.2% equity to call.

In order to raise, we need in excess of 50% equity versus his range. In fact, we need greater than 50% equity versus his calling range, assuming he doesn't fold that often, and reraises a decent amount. The math can get a bit more complicated but the fact is, our hand has to be, roughly, three times stronger to raise than to call. A good example of a hand in this spot that is three times stronger might be J9, and of course, AJ.

So the make a long note short I would call and never raise. It really is a question between calling and folding.

Old
Tue Sep 04, 2012, 03:31 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
I agree with Gareth and would add, I think with the villains line I think we are getting shown AJ an awful lot here. The micro-stakes are rampant with slowplay-happy players.... slowplaying AJ is pretty bad here but that won't stop them. My 2c.

Dave

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com