Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

10NL 6 Max huge river bet

Old
10NL 6 Max huge river bet - Tue Sep 04, 2012, 01:03 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2012
It was the second or third hand after Villain 1 sat down, no reads.

He did the river overbet which really seemed like a bluff, wanting me to fold. I don't know if a limper will play the nut flush this way.

In the end I folded. What would you do on the spot? Btw after 35 hands, his stats was 65/0, AF 1.1, Fold-to Cbet 50% out of 8.

Old
Tue Sep 04, 2012, 08:52 AM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2011
This seems like quite a tough spot.
He could have a flush and just hoping you bet the turn again for a checkraise. He could have a different set, Two of which you beat. He could even have A2. Or K5. I think all these are possible. And then he could just have a total bluff because of the turn check he thinks he can take it down with big aggression.

Another thought that just occurred to me, he limped in preflop. If hes limping often and usually a passive player I would be laying it down I think.

Putting another $5 to make a $12.15 pot, we need to be good 42% (or there abouts) of the time to make the call +EV. I think it's close, and I have no idea what to suggest to you, I think it could go either way

Last edited by craig121212; Tue Sep 04, 2012 at 08:55 AM..

Old
Tue Sep 04, 2012, 09:54 AM
(#3)
Since: Nov 2011
Hi TheAwesome

A few things to note here. First is that villain's AF is 1.1, which to me, is not very high at all. I would imagine his agression on the river is quite limited based on that. So extrapolating from there I would have a hard time concluding this is a bluff.

You mention that you think his sizing is bluffy, what hands can he be bluffing here with? A hand like a pair or ace high? What I am trying to get at is that he has to have check-called the flop with any hand that he is now bluffing with. And most hands he check-calls the flop with now do not need to bluff, they have enough value on the river to win at showdown. Hands like A2, 67, and any spade draw, all completed on this board.

What's more is our opponent has made a very large bet, which lays us a bad price to call. We have to be right here quite often and I wouldn't expect it to be often enough.

Sometimes the 65/0 players get there

but that's ok!

Old
Wed Sep 05, 2012, 01:47 AM
(#4)
Since: Mar 2012
Thanks a lot people! Guess many different combinations beat me still. Better to wait for a nicer spot than to make the call

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com