Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

ok guys theres variance

Old
ok guys theres variance - Thu Sep 06, 2012, 02:28 PM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2011
BronzeStar
Hi all this is not a stars related question but i really cant wait for my self exclusion to end as arny says i,ll be back hehe

i was just wondering how to get a grip on this situation i joined another site while waiting for me self exclusion to end, no way around this

So anyhow i start playing on another site (which sucks) stay on stars and i really mean this the game options you have is one of a kind well maybe full tilt can keep up this this

So any how i'm in a hand cash game, and i have tt and the flop comes 24t rainbow so i check and the op raises i decide that he,s got aa or kk and make a 3/4 pot raise and he goes all in as expected he turns over kk wow my range was bang on and then by time the river comes he,s hit one of his 2 outs LMFAO i would say but the thing is it dont matter what 2 cards they have they always do me weather it be a 1 card straight or what ever it makes no diff now i've ran like this in cash games for well over a year and the funny thing is on this certain site i have a ITM of 100% in sng,s my roi is off the scale i always get me reads and ranges bang on so guys and girls and live trainers i ask you this... what the hell am i doing wrong in cash games my ranges are correct my reads are pretty much correct calling big pots down with ace high and so on but i run like proper shiiiit hehe is there anyone that can steer me right here how can i fold the nuts on the flop time and time again my bro has a theory but im really hoping that aint true or that would make all poker sites a con....is there any cash game player here that can guide me pls dont dismiss this post because once my pokerstars account is back up and running i will never close it again.How can i be so right all of the time and so wrong by the river?

This is not a giant tilt rant but true and anyone that has sat at the same felt as me knows i can play poker i'm just sooooo confused right now its unreal and how come sng,s are so easy compared to cash games when my ranging is the same? i have them beat they beat me on later streets.

Q~ can variance kick u in the n#ts for over a year solid? or is my game at fault even though i know what cards they have? and i do not see playing loose as a leak i see it as a strength and build on my table image. HELP! lol.

for them that say why dont u stick to sng if your itm is so good well i get bored very fast.

There must be someone out there that can steer me in the right direction personally hoping it is you Dave...

Best regards PP.

Old
Thu Sep 06, 2012, 03:50 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerPest72 View Post
So any how i'm in a hand cash game, and i have tt and the flop comes 24t rainbow so i check
I'm NEVER checking here. The last thing that I would ever want to do is to give the opp a +EV draw to beat me. I want the opp to be making negative plays against me.. not positive ones.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Sep 06, 2012, 05:26 PM
(#3)
BronzeStar
ok m8 but i see time and time again a check raise in that situation its pretty much a dead flop and i want max value and feel a check raise is in my best interest i want max value on each street my goal is to bloat the pot and i think in this situation whether i check or raise were both all in any how, i just get so damn frustrated when my reads are right and the cards favour them, it's like how the hell can i be beat time and time again flopping the nuts, like i'm missing something big about poker and i can't see what, my head really is spinning at this point.
bad beats 1 year and running......
m8 i forgot to mention big time my holdings were pocket 10,s ffs what a moron i am i flopped the set on that board dude but the same happens to me when i flop a set of aces i am truley cursed.

Last edited by PokerPest72; Thu Sep 06, 2012 at 05:40 PM.. Reason: OOPS!

Old
Thu Sep 06, 2012, 05:53 PM
(#4)
BronzeStar
I would also like to say, seen some really sick beats in this years wsop so it's not just an internet thing hehe, but is a nit style and only going all in with the nuts on the river really good play?

why do pros make it look so easy lol.

Old
Thu Sep 06, 2012, 06:35 PM
(#5)
You need to learn to get over the results and focus on your decisions as that is ALL you control on the felt. If you think the poker gods have it in for you present statistics on 10,000 or so hands to prove it. Isolated hands are meaningless for making conclusions other than did I make a good decision or not.

As for the read, putting someone on just two hands without a ton of history with them is unreasonable. The flop actions alone are not enough to say if you made a good decision. What was the effective stack? SPR? pre-flop action?

As to check-raising the flop you need to be virtually certain they will bet there to go for the check raise. That is a decision that requires a substantial history unless they are a huge lagtard.

Good decisions FTW!

Old
Thu Sep 06, 2012, 10:24 PM
(#6)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerPest72 View Post
i joined another site while waiting for me self exclusion to end
So addictive, eh?

Old
Fri Sep 07, 2012, 06:35 AM
(#7)
Hi Bro, I have told you before, your problem is your ability to stick to one site, changing and playing different sites is not a good thing to do.

Remembering bad beats etc becomes more frequent, even though that is just an illusion created. Variance is the same no matter what the site, but you will remember them more and this will have adverse effect on your game.

An exclusion from one site will not improve our game, we may find more lesser players to play, but the game does not alter.

Stick to one bro, decide on your site.

And Look at Sams point BRo, that says it all,

Old
Fri Sep 07, 2012, 08:00 AM
(#8)
Since: Jul 2011
It dosnt matter were you play if your using proper brm varience and bad beats should not matter. I Play between two or three sites and there all the same stick to brm and your skill should outway the luck factor over time.

Old
Fri Sep 07, 2012, 09:49 AM
(#9)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanj28 View Post
It dosnt matter were you play if your using proper brm varience and bad beats should not matter.
I agree 100%.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Sep 10, 2012, 11:34 PM
(#10)
Since: Sep 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanj28 View Post
It dosnt matter were you play if your using proper brm varience and bad beats should not matter. I Play between two or three sites and there all the same stick to brm and your skill should outway the luck factor over time.
Over the last 2 years, I have encountered Variance, variance, and more variance than I'd like.

Personally, Variance on a live table, where it happens, but not at the same rate as online. It's like we're only allowed to win a certain amount within reason, then they start spewing this term in our faces about "Variance"

The first time I'd ever heard the term was online, and I was playing offline for 2 years, not hearing the term before I saw online poker.

Now they spew a word that, to me, is a neglectful word. I have a math brain, and it's like saying to me 2+2=4 however, it doesn't always equal 4. Now I'm looking at you like you have a monkey on your head, licking your ear.

Say What?? Yes, exactly what I think. That is just not right!

Old
Tue Sep 11, 2012, 07:29 AM
(#11)
Since: Jul 2011
Im not one to condone the bad beats or the so called varience all i am stating stake is if you use solid brm online your skill will outway the luck factor over time and you will see a profit at any stake you play. That is all

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com