Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2nl Zoom - 88 OTB. River value bet?

Old
2nl Zoom - 88 OTB. River value bet? - Fri Sep 07, 2012, 07:56 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

Pre flop the CO raises to 4x; I'm in position and I'm getting over 20-1 in implied odds so I decide to cal to set mine. The blinds fold and the flop comes down pretty good for two 8's. He c-bets and although the bet is pretty big I don't think I should fold on this flop, Although he would fire hands I'm well behind to like this, A9/77/99, he would most likely fire overcard misses and perhaps even smaller PP. I call but am ready to fold if he continues to fire the turn and I don't improve.

The Q comes on the turn and he checks at this point I feel my hand is best, however I don't like raising as most worse hands will fold while better hands will call. I decide to check behind and we see a blank river, he checks for a second time. Is this a good spot for a value bet to around 15c? I think better hands such as JJ/TT/99 will call but also smaller pairs will likely call.

Cheers for any help

Oliver

Follow me on: Twitter

Old
Sat Sep 08, 2012, 08:50 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Oliver,

I think the time to value bet was on the turn... you surmised that he won't call you with worse, but actually I think that's not entirely true. Since all the flopped draws have missed he may still check/call you with a worse pair or AK. If he's not going to call those hands on the turn, he's certainly not calling them on the river imo, so it's still better to just bet and deny him a chance to realize his equity in the pot. AK has 6 outs to beat you, if he's not going to put another penny in unless he actually draws out, then it's better to have him fold and not see the 6 outs.

Curious note about your ranging here:
Quote:
He c-bets and although the bet is pretty big I don't think I should fold on this flop, Although he would fire hands I'm well behind to like this, A9/77/99, he would most likely fire overcard misses and perhaps even smaller PP.
It seems you're discounting overpairs completely... not sure why, he's entitled to have big pairs just as often as everyone else.

At any rate, I think betting the river is too thin, would definitely bet the turn but check down the river imo.

Dave

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com