Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Live Game Sweats and Online Tournaments /

Last night's live pub game

Old
Last night's live pub game - Sat Sep 08, 2012, 05:45 AM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2011
I've started to go back to my live pub poker game. It's a £10 + £5 rebuy with an optional (but essential) £10 top up. It's not a great structure but it's loaded with fish.

I didn't play any live for the past year mainly because of the bad beats in this game. Nobody can fold which might be a good thing but you seriously bang your head at times. I know I should be happy but when I play online with a bad beat, I can just open up another table. In this, when you lose your chips you're out.

I've played the past 3 weeks, the first week coming nowhere while winning it last week for £240. I did play like a maniac in those 2 weeks, doing things I wouldn't normally do online but I'd like to share last night's game with you.

Very first hand I was dealt QQ in early position. The blinds were 5/10 so I done the sensible raise to 100 (10x BB lol), as I said nobody folds so you really have to over charge for your premium. There were 9 at the table and I had 3 callers.

Q53 flop and utg leads out with a 250 bet. I flat called and the caller on the button shoved all in. UTG called in an instant and so did I. UTG had A5o an the button had Q3o and I scooped the pot. It's really frustrating though. I know that's what you want but invariably you lose with your premiums as nobody folds.

I had a stack and didn't need to risk much more. I scooped a couple of small pots, never risked all my chips and mostly folded until the rebuys ended. I easily folded AKs in a 4 way pot all in and I finished the rebuys with a healthy stack.

18 players in all with the top 3 paid. I reached the final table without playing a hand (card dead).

Final 8 I was first to exit. Small blind raised into me, I had KsQs and called flop came QdTd3s, he checked, I raised all in (I had around the pot left in my stack), he called in an instant and showed AdJd. The turn was the Qd and he hit a Royal Flush.

I made a major mistake in this hand as my opponent was tight aggressive like me. He wasn't raising without a hand and KQs was a fold against him (not to most at this table BTW). I ran the hand through pokerstove and he was 51% favourite. I never made a mistake by shoving but if you're going to go out then do it in style. I never won the flip but that's poker, I played like a donkey the week before and won it so anyone can get lucky.

I don't think I'm a good live player, I can't pick on tells or read a table like I can online but I've noticed a few things in this game.

Nobody folds pre, if you get a hand bet it, and bet it hard. I would never overbet online but in this game you need to charge a premium. My QQ hand set me up until the rebuys had finished. The guy next to me had 7 rebuys playing almost every hand.

Nobody 3 bets. Everyone's a calling station, if you raise then you are certain of a caller but top pair, bottom pair or any draw is a call. Again if you get a hand bet it, you almost certainly are ahead. If you 3 bet you still get the callers because if they have a chip in the pot, even if it's a small blind, they feel it's their chips to defend (my mistake on my exit hand)

Suited cards are MONSTERS! hands like Q5s are an instant call to a raise. I notice this online at micro stakes but the same happens in live games, they will not fold any part of the flop whether it's a flush draw or bottom pair.

We'll see over the coming weeks if I can make this profitable.

PS for anyone contemplating playing live just do it. There are more bad players than good in this game and if you only took a little of PSO with you, you will do well.

Last edited by Ovalman; Sat Sep 08, 2012 at 05:48 AM.. Reason: spelling

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com