Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

10NL 6 Max Overpair vs TP player

Old
10NL 6 Max Overpair vs TP player - Sun Sep 09, 2012, 06:25 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2012
Villain stats: 22/3 after 99 hands. Fold to cbet: 50%

I had a nitty image on the table.

1) Flop came and I had an overpair QQ. SPR was less than 3 thus I made the commitment decision to stack villain off. Was it the right decision against a 22/3?

2) Turn came Ace. Should I have checked? If he bets when I checked, it still comes back to the commitment decision right?

How would you have played it?

Old
Sun Sep 09, 2012, 10:20 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
Hey ANW,

This is a pretty bad spot to be in imo any bet you make commits you to the pot. However when he shoves like this I think you're always behind to sets 2 pair and probably better pairs, but you literally can't fold he's laying you an amazing price! This said I don't like checking either as it gives him a chance to draw for free and you lose value from worse hands.

I think with the low SPR I think you just have to go with your hand and put him in, he can call with worse so I think that it's the best way to play it. I'll be interested to see what others think.

Good luck at the tables.

Oliver

Follow me on: Twitter

Old
Sun Sep 09, 2012, 07:32 PM
(#3)
Since: Nov 2011
I like checking the turn myself. On the flop there was a range of hands from which we could get value, JJ, 99, 88, AT, KT, QT, JT, T9, T8, and maybe occasional A7s type hands. On the turn, our ability to get value from these hands either becomes severely impaired or they pass us in the standings and we have 2 outs.

If I were to check and a 22/3 decided he wanted to play for his entire stack, I would fold. Because I don't think a 22/3 will ever decide to put his stack in such a spot with a worse hand than mine. Hands we beat we don't have to worry about them drawing out, they usually have 6 outs at the most, when they don't have 2. They will also check back this card and we can attempt a small 1/3p river bet perhaps for our value.

As it stands though villain is only ever going to put money in on this turn when he crushes your hand. So that means putting it in with a bet after you check or putting it in with a call or raise after you bet. The fact that he did raise all-in here is to a degree worse, he's even stronger than when he calls leaving himself very little behind.

Rules about SPR and commitment are just that, rules. Rules have exceptions and are meant to be broken. This seems to me to be a very clear and straightforward example of such an exception.

Old
Tue Sep 11, 2012, 01:02 AM
(#4)
Since: Mar 2012
Thanks Croyd and Gareth, nice to see your thought processes here. I do agree that the turn is a very scary card for QQ.

"Rules have exceptions and are meant to be broken." - Haha I hope you meant the exceptions are meant to be broken, not all the rules

If the turn wasn't an Ace, King or Queen, should we check it also?

Old
Tue Sep 11, 2012, 06:26 AM
(#5)
Since: Jul 2011
I think if the turn is not an Ace, i would definitely check behind, as you can include his bluffs in his range and worse Pockets than yours,

he might take a half pot stab on turn, also you could peal his bet on turn, then re evaluate on river.
However on river if he fires again, its a fold for me cause his stats do not suggest he is bluffing.

SPR i dont worry too much about that tbh unless i have a draw mostly, so if i know the guy has me i would not even think of spr.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com