Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2nl Zoom - AJs in the SB.

Old
2nl Zoom - AJs in the SB. - Tue Sep 11, 2012, 07:25 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

Pre flop I feel my hand is strong enough to warrant a call, I could 3-bet but I think that I'm turning my hand into a bluff if I do so as I would have to fold to a 4bet. I think that my hand is strong enough to play postflop with so elect to just call. Would 3-betting have been better here, or is the call okay?

I flop TPGK and check to the orignal raiser as I feel he will likely c-bet this board with all made hands as well as those that missed. When he c-bets I feel I'm ahead of his firing range, I don't think raising achieves much apart from get action from hands that are ahead of me and fold out bluffs so I decide to call.

The turn brings an 8 which doesn't change much, I decided to check as if he checks behind I can bet the river and if he bets I can call. I figured he would double barrel here with a range something like QQ+ ATs+ AJo+ KsJs KQs and possibly KQo at the time I felt that I was ahead of his range and decided to call. However I think his range may be a little tighter than this and perhpas I should have folded the turn.

I think I would have been better leading the turn for value. If I lead the turn I can still get value from second pair hands or worse aces that might not double barrel; also if I get raised I can be pretty sure my hand is not good. Would this have been a better line? Also is my ranging of him okay?

On the river I was pretty unsure what to do, I think that the time to get value from a Q or worse A is gone. However I think if he bets 3 streets then my AJ just isn't going to be good, should I just check fold on the river or can he feasibly bet 3 streets with worse?

Thanks for any help.

Oliver

Follow me on: Twitter

Old
Tue Sep 11, 2012, 07:33 AM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2012
Interesting hand!

I tend to 3-bet with AJs from late pos. However, here you are in the sb and he bet 4x pf, I'm folding this spot preflop. I am curious what the experts suggest.

GL!

Roland GTX

Old
Tue Sep 11, 2012, 08:32 AM
(#3)
Since: May 2012
AJ is a trouble hand and I think this shows that. I really don't like playing it OOP without the initiative as you struggle to know where you stand. I would either 3bet or fold pre-flop depending on my reads on the villain and if I thought I could outplay him post-flop.

Old
Tue Sep 11, 2012, 09:28 AM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2011
I never 3bet AJ for the reason that if you flop and hit top pair, hands that call a 3bet most of the time still crush us and were playing a raised pot with the worst hand and going to put more money in.

To be honest with the half pot bet sizing i think there's a pretty decent price to check-call down and a good chance that we are ahead. At 2NL I think the range of aces we are ahead of is wider than you suggest, particularly suited aces. On the river if he fires 1/2 pot again or checks behind I think a fair percentage of the time we'll see Ax of spades.

Old
Tue Sep 11, 2012, 01:04 PM
(#5)
Since: Nov 2011
Preflop is fine here. Like some have pointed out here 3betting is liable to get better hands to continue.

We are suited and have a good high card hand, I'd be comfortable calling out of position here as our hand strength and playability makes up for our position.

On the flop and turn I think this is a easy check-call spot both times. Sure, we could get value leading the turn, but I think check-call will elicit more double barrels from weaker hands. Finally on the river this is where reads come in and become important. By default we should check-fold river. Everything missed --- therefore not many players will give us credit for laying down an ace, a hand we pretty clearly have. Because of this I wouldn't expect to ever be bluffed on this river. The only player type we should be calling down against here often is a maniac. So knowing he is a maniac would be important. If they are a simple unknown, I would just let it go if someone bets the river.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com