Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

AQo 2NL FR All-in on Flop

Old
AQo 2NL FR All-in on Flop - Wed Sep 12, 2012, 09:16 AM
(#1)
Since: May 2012
I just had this hand come up while playing on my mobile so my reads on the villains aren’t perfect. I had both Villian_1 and Villian_8 as loose passive fish from what I had seen and remembered (from looking back I have the stat's over 50 hands as Villian_1 42/24 and Villian_8 as 20/0, so my reads wasn’t quite right, but still would considered them fish especially with their starting stacks at 49BB and 72BB).

I think pre-flop it's pretty standard I raised 4BB to isolate Villian_1 but Villian_8 came along for the ride.

The flop gives me TPGK, and the board has a flush draw and straight draw (although this is a low straight so I think this can be ignored. Also I don't expect anyone to show up with a better kicker as AK should 3bet). I raise my standard amount of 3/4 pot for value and to charge any draws. Villian_8 calls so I put him on Ax with lower kicker or flush draw, and then Villian_1 does something I wasn't expecting with this flop and re-raises all-in. Now this normally screams set or two pair, but as I labelled him as a fish I thought he might be over valuing his Ax cards or flush draw, or it could even be some kind of crazy bluff, he is a fish after all. I worked out that to call I would need to be right about 1 in 3 times to break even, and there could easily be a 3rd of his range that I beat. So I re-raised all in expecting Villian_1 to fold, and even if he was going to call villians_1’s raise he would call all-in as he's pot committed and I didn’t mind stacking off with him after he only called my raise.

As it turns out Villian_8 did call and I ended up playing for stacks in a 3-ways pot with only TPGK. Looking back although they are both fish (and as it turns out Villian_1 is a bit of a manic with 42/24 on a FL table) I’m wondering if this should have been a fold to the re-raise with another villain behind me who has showed some interest in the hand.

What does everyone think?

Old
Wed Sep 12, 2012, 11:58 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Kedan,

I think your play is fine, and would have done the same thing myself.

This is really a low spr spot vs. 2 big fish, spr is like 3.5 vs. the LAG and 5.5 vs. the loose passive guy. So we hit top pair 2nd kicker, cbet for value (good), LP guy calls (fine) and Lag who starts the hand with only a half stack jams. I agree that I'd expect to see this type of fish be doing this with some better hands like aces up and sets, but also worse hands like worse aces, flush draws, and a few other random worse pairs and bluffs. Low SPR against him I'm never folding AQ here, and the other guy may stack off with worse aces or draws as well, so it's all good.

I'm guessing we ran into a set or got drawn out on, given the post, and yeah it happens, but I don't think there's any problem with the play here.

Dave

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Sep 13, 2012, 03:23 AM
(#3)
Since: May 2012
I didn't even consider SPR, that’s something I've only learnt recently and keep forgetting about. Using that and all the other information I had it doesn't look like such a hard decision to call. Thanks Dave, oh and here's the full hand. I was surprised at the time when I saw what they went all-in with. Makes me wonder if I've previously been folding too often. I will be taking a look at some similar hands I’ve played.

Old
Thu Sep 13, 2012, 12:13 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Yep, right in the wheelhouse of their ranges, nice to see a favorable result too.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com