Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Entering the Pot: Speculative Hands or Trash?

Old
Question
Entering the Pot: Speculative Hands or Trash? - Fri Sep 14, 2012, 06:56 PM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2012
According to the basic course Entering the Pot, KQo will be considered trash since it's not suited. This is counter-intuitive since I feel that KQo is not that bad. Will you often fold this hand?

Also for A9o, I'm not sure how this can improve to a strong hand post-flop. If you flop an A, you have a kicker 9, which may still be weak. If you flop a top pair 9, there are good chances to face over-pairs or over-card draw later.

Old
Fri Sep 14, 2012, 07:05 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Bicheng!

Welcome to the forum. Here's a link that will help to get you familiar with many of the options that PSO has to offer.

The starting hands will vary by position, as position is a key in playing NLHE. From early position, KQo is a fold due to the fact that anyone coming into the pot behind could have a player dominated. However, A9, especially from late position would only be behind a bigger ace or pocket pair... and any larger ace should have already raised, so if it's folded to me, I most likely have the current best hand.

The hands that I would want to start with are going to be based on table dynamics (position, opps' playing styles, chip stacks, tourney/cash table type, etc.).

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Question
Fri Sep 14, 2012, 07:51 PM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2012
Thanks JWK24. A related question, I'm wondering how to proceed in mid position with speculative hands.

My current understanding is that if I want to play more tight, I would consider mid positions as early position. For example, I might fold A9 even if I am just one position before CO.

If I want to play more loose, I might raise with A9 in mid1/mid2 position.

Basically as a method to change gear by assigning mid positions as early or late position. Does this sound like a good strategy?

Old
Fri Sep 14, 2012, 08:09 PM
(#4)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
It depends on the table dynamics. The one thing that I don't want to do is to open-limp. If I play one of them, then I'll make a standard open-raise. Also, early in a tourney, since most players will be playing anything, I'm much more tempted to fold anything marginal from MP.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Sep 16, 2012, 10:27 AM
(#5)
Since: Jul 2012
Hi John. Is there any training video or material is about table dynamic coz I couldn't find any if I juz typed table dynamic in the search engine of PSO.

Old
Sun Sep 16, 2012, 12:02 PM
(#6)
I thought Dave (TheLangolier) made on but it wouldn't come up on a search.

Table dynamics is the same thing as situational awareness. How do the players you are up against react to depth of money, position, various opponent styles, etc. Poker is all about decisions and to make good decisions you must have good information. Remember "Garbage in equals garbage out." With poker being a game of incomplete information, as opposed to chess where your opponent's situation is visible, you must get additional information to improve your decisions. This is why HUDs are so prevalent online. They provide some additional current information that is hard to remember.

So table dynamics is not something deep and mysterious. Its something that most poker players use without thinking about it.

HTH and Good Decisions!

Old
Fri Jan 15, 2016, 07:22 AM
(#7)
Since: Nov 2009
I have some more questions on playing marginal hands as there are little detailes in the lesson.

How would you play say A9s and 99 in middle and late positions if
a) there are one to several limpers ahead - would you limp also to flop cheap or raise and how much?
b) sometimes somebody raises in front and get called by one or two players - would you call since the pot size is good or fold?
or the way around - you limped and there is a raiser after who get called by most who is already in the play
c) your open raise is reraised

Old
Fri Jan 15, 2016, 09:52 AM
(#8)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipedos View Post
I have some more questions on playing marginal hands as there are little detailes in the lesson.

How would you play say A9s and 99 in middle and late positions if
a) there are one to several limpers ahead - would you limp also to flop cheap or raise and how much?
b) sometimes somebody raises in front and get called by one or two players - would you call since the pot size is good or fold?
or the way around - you limped and there is a raiser after who get called by most who is already in the play
c) your open raise is reraised
@Chipedos

a) I will raise a % of the time with both and can limp behind with both (but can only limp behind with 99 IF I have the proper 15x odds to setmine (need 15x the bet in everyone's stack) For a raise, I would make a standard raise +1bb for each limper (my standard amount varies between 3x and depending on the blind level.. more earlier in the tourney, less late).

b) A9 would go into the muck (would want at least 3-4 in prior to me to call). 99 I would call if I had the odds to setmine

c) A9 is an instant muck 99 could be a fold/raise/call.. it depends on the table dynamics (how tight or loose the opp is, everyone's stack sizes, type of tourney, etc)

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jan 15, 2016, 10:13 AM
(#9)
Since: Nov 2009
@JWK24

So basically you raise from time to time to pretend you have a very strong hand. And you call if odds are correct.
A9 is weak since probably there is another ace with higher kicker due to lots of activityat the table.

Old
Sat Jan 16, 2016, 12:21 AM
(#10)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipedos View Post
@JWK24

So basically you raise from time to time to pretend you have a very strong hand. And you call if odds are correct.
A9 is weak since probably there is another ace with higher kicker due to lots of activityat the table.
With 99, I'd raise some and call if the odds are right, as I want to have a hand like this both in my raise range and call range.

A9 on the other hand, when out of position has huge reverse implied odds due to the possibility of being outkicked, that I'd rather flat behind with it in late position, but not mid.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com