Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

AKs in Big Blind

Old
AKs in Big Blind - Sat Sep 15, 2012, 05:05 PM
(#1)
Since: May 2011
Would like to know what you guys think of this hand. I feel i played it poorly. It was during a Skill League Qualifier. It was early and had no information on the villians. I was worried about raising and being called b/c the pot would balloon and if i missed I would be in a tough spot. But i felt i was too deep to move all in.

Old
Sat Sep 15, 2012, 05:31 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
***moved to more appropriate forum since from a tourney JWK24***

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Sep 15, 2012, 08:01 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi daMMax 82!

With this being a league game, the entire goal in them is to accumulate league points by lasting as long as possible without taking any chances if at all possible. I also do not want to be all-in unless I'm sure that my hand will be the best after all 5 cards are on the board, as the reward of extra chips is nowhere near worth the risk of negative league points.

With AKs from the BB, the button limps and the SB completes. I will make a std raise here, to 3BB+1BB for each limper. With 2 limpers, I will raise to 5BB or 300.

The flop gives me a gutshot straight draw (need a 10) and two overcards. When the SB checks, I'm going to check behind since I do not have a made hand.

The button checks and I get a blank on the turn. Since this is a league game, when the SB checks to me, I'm checking behind. Bluffing early in a league game is normally a recipe for disaster and is a chance that I do not want to take. I want to keep my chips to last longer and to get more league points.

The river is another blank and since I only have ace high, I'll check/fold on the river.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com