Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

A Question about the Starting Hands Guide

Old
A Question about the Starting Hands Guide - Sun Sep 16, 2012, 10:50 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2012
According to the Starting Hands Guide in the cash game course, when we have suited connectors for hole cards in blinds, we should fold when everybody folded but call when somebody called. When we think suited connectors are strong enough to play with someone holding speculative hands as they called, why shouldn't we raise to steal the pot when everybody folded?

Old
Sun Sep 16, 2012, 11:01 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Suited connectors are speculative hands. They must hit the flop twice to continue post flop. The more callers the better pot odds and the more likely you are that someone will hit a worse hand and pay you off.

Small to mid pairs are also speculative, i.e. implied odds, hands but they are better hidden that suited connectors as straight and flushes make for scary boards that reduce action.

Good decisions!

Old
Sun Sep 16, 2012, 05:17 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi HaryTradr!

Especially in lower stakes games, stealing or bluffing is something that I don't want to be doing often, mostly because there are too many maniacs and calling stations that will never fold.

I want to play suited connectors in pots with lots of players where I can get in cheap. That way my hand is concealed and I can win a large pot if I hit.. or lose the minimum if I miss.

I don't want to be playing a speculative hand in a large pot... unless I know I have already hit a made hand.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com