Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Off-Topic Discussions /

Brain teasers

Old
Brain teasers - Mon Sep 17, 2012, 05:44 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2010
Hey there! have you ever lost a game of poker and thought to your-self after "my decision making in that game was terrible, I no I can do better" Well it's common knowledge that all athletes train there body for competitions. So before your big game, why not take 5 minutes to come here and exercise your brain before you start making those game changing decisions. Every day at 10am UK time i will post a brain teaser here to get your brain in action.

Please do not post your answers here to the puzzles as it will spoil it for anyone else who wants to work them out for them- selves.

Also Don't cheat your-self by googling the answer give it a good think over, and wait for the answer to be posted the next day to see if your right.

Teasers will be posted in BLUE and the answers posted in RED.

This is just a bit of fun so enjoy and I hope it helps your game, and Good Luck.

Old
Teaser No.1 - Mon Sep 17, 2012, 05:52 AM
(#2)
IS THIS YOUR SANDER VITREUS?
Whose Fish?
By Albert Einstein

This brainteaser, reportedly written by Einstein is difficult and Einstein said that 98% of the people in the world could not figure it out. Which percentage are you in?

There are five houses in a row in different colors. In each house lives a person with a different nationality. The five owners drink a different drink, smoke a different brand of cigar and keep a different pet, one of which is a Walleye Pike.

The question is-- who owns the fish?

Hints:
1. The Brit lives in the red house.
2. The Swede keeps dogs as pets.
3. The Dane drinks tea.
4. The green house is on the left of the white house.
5. The green house owner drinks coffee.
6. The person who smokes Pall Malls keeps birds.
7. The owner of the yellow house smokes Dunhills.
8. The man living in the house right in the center drinks milk.
9. The man who smokes Blends lives next to the one who keeps cats.
10. The Norwegian lives in the first house.
11. The man who keeps horses lives next to the one who smokes Dunhills.
12. The owner who smokes Bluemasters drinks beer.
13. The German smokes Princes.
14. The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.
15. The man who smokes Blends has a neighbor who drinks water.

There are no tricks, pure logic will get you the correct answer. And yes, there is enough information to arrive at the one and only correct answer.

If you get the correct answer, congratulations, you are one of the exclusive group of 121,348,731 people in the world who can.

Old
Mon Sep 17, 2012, 06:46 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2012
BronzeStar
Hey Hitman

I do like a good brain teaser, I look foward to them, I'll be checking in every day for sure!! I will get the pen and paper out later on to work this one out, I should be able to do it (well I remember doing similar problems but with only 2 thing to find out about each person, its a lot more difficult with more by the looks)

Old
Mon Sep 17, 2012, 11:18 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
After seventeen minutes the correct answer is... OK I won't spoil everyones fun. If only poker was that easy, be an expert in seventeen minutes.

Good luck
Doug

3 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Sep 18, 2012, 05:49 AM
(#5)
Hey there every one who had a go at yesterdays Brain Teaser(No.1). Hope you enjoyed boggling your brain over this one, as for sure it wasn't an easy one to start off with. And if you did manage to solve the the Teaser, then Congratulations to you as the Great Albert Einstein predicted only 2% of the worlds population would be able to solve this puzzle, and if you didn't manage this one then don't worry as your in the majority. I will post the answer below this, and continue to post a new Brain Teaser every day between the hours of 10am-11am UK time, so next time you have the kettle on pop in and give it ago.

Old
Brain Teaser No.1 (answer) - Tue Sep 18, 2012, 05:55 AM
(#6)
Who owns the fish? Answer to Albert Einstein's Brain Teaser

So who owns the Walleye Pike?
Answer to Albert Einstein's Brain Teaser
The coffee drinking, Princes smoking, green house owning German.

I put all the details in a grid. Then I went through the grid several times. Through a process of elimination and logic here is a chart of the results.

Who owns the Walleye Pike Answer to Albert Einstein's Brain Teaser.

1. Dane Dane Dane Dane Dane
  2. Swede Swede Swede Swede Swede
  3. German German German German German
  4. Norwegian Norwegian Norwegian Norwegian Norwegian
  5. Brit Brit Brit Brit Brit
  6. Red Red Red Red Red
  7. Green Green Green Green Green
  8. Yellow Yellow Yellow Yellow Yellow
  9. Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue
  10. White White White White White
  11. Milk Milk Milk Milk Milk
  12. Tea Tea Tea Tea Tea
  13. Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer
  14. Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee
  15. Water Water Water Water Water
  16. Pall Malls Pall Malls Pall Malls Pall Malls Pall Malls
  17. Dunhills Dunhills Dunhills Dunhills Dunhills
  18. Blends Blends Blends Blends Blends
  19. BluemastersBluemasters BluemastersBluemastersBluemasters
  20. Princes Princes Princes Princes Princes
  21. Cats Cats Cats Cats Cats
  22. Dogs Dogs Dogs Dogs Dogs
  23. Birds Birds Birds Birds Birds
  24. Horses Horses Horses Horses Horses
  25. WalleyePikeWalleyePike WalleyePike WalleyePike Walleye Pike

Albert Einstein's Who owns the fish answer.
The German

Last edited by De Hitman; Tue Sep 18, 2012 at 06:59 AM..

Old
Brain Teaser No.2 - Tue Sep 18, 2012, 06:57 AM
(#7)
Which Way To Go

You're riding a horse. To the right of you is a cliff and in front of you is an elephant moving at the same pace and you can't overtake it. To the left of you is a hippo running at the same speed and a lion is chasing you. How do you get to safety?

Thanks for taking the time to look, hope you enjoy.

Old
Brain Teaser No.2 Answer - Thu Sep 20, 2012, 03:48 AM
(#8)
Which Way To Go

Get Off The Merry-go-Round.

Old
Brain Teaser No.3 - Thu Sep 20, 2012, 03:54 AM
(#9)
What does this represent?

Pot OOOOOOOO

Old
Thu Sep 20, 2012, 06:25 AM
(#10)
Since: Jun 2012
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by De Hitman View Post
Which Way To Go

Get Off The Merry-go-Round.
I knew the answer would be something silly like that, I was thinking like jump onto the hippo because the lion will keep chasing the horse or something (in other words I had no idea hahahaha)

By the way, the hippo on the left would be moving slower than you since it is travelling less distance in the same amount of time, however I will give you the benefit of the doubt as it does have the same angular velocity as the horse we are riding

Old
Brain Teaser No.3 Answer - Fri Sep 21, 2012, 06:44 AM
(#11)
What Does This Represent?

Pot + 8, 0's = Potatoes

Old
Brain Teaser No.4 - Fri Sep 21, 2012, 06:53 AM
(#12)
What Is It?

This is an unusual paragraph. I'm curious as to just how quickly you can find out what is so unusual about it. It looks so ordinary and plain that you would think nothing was wrong with it. In fact, nothing is wrong with it! It is highly unusual though. Study it and think about it, but you still may not find anything odd. But if you work at it a bit, you might find out. Try to do so without any coaching.

Old
Fri Sep 21, 2012, 10:32 PM
(#13)
Quote:
What Is It?

This is an unusual paragraph. I'm curious as to just how quickly you can find out what is so unusual about it. It looks so ordinary and plain that you would think nothing was wrong with it. In fact, nothing is wrong with it! It is highly unusual though. Study it and think about it, but you still may not find anything odd. But if you work at it a bit, you might find out. Try to do so without any coaching.
The most used letter in the English alphabet is not used.

Old
Brain Teaser No.4 Answer - Sat Sep 22, 2012, 10:23 AM
(#14)
What Is It?

The letter e is the most common letter in the English language, yet it never appears in the entire paragraph

Well Done if you spotted this one quickly.

Old
Brain Teaser No.5 - Sat Sep 22, 2012, 10:27 AM
(#15)
Can You Get In?

A man wants to get into a night club where the bouncers test each person before they can enter. The man waits and watches. A woman walks up to the bouncers and the bouncers say 6. The woman replies with 3 and goes in. A small man walks up and they say 12. The man replies 6 and is admitted. The first guy thinks he's figured it out and walks up. They say 4 and the man replies with 2, but they don't let him in. What should he have said?

Old
Sat Sep 22, 2012, 01:22 PM
(#16)
Quote:
Can You Get In?

A man wants to get into a night club where the bouncers test each person before they can enter. The man waits and watches. A woman walks up to the bouncers and the bouncers say 6. The woman replies with 3 and goes in. A small man walks up and they say 12. The man replies 6 and is admitted. The first guy thinks he's figured it out and walks up. They say 4 and the man replies with 2, but they don't let him in. What should he have said?
He should have said 4. It is how many letters are in the number.

Four,six and twelve.

Double Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Sep 23, 2012, 06:18 AM
(#17)
PLEASE DO NOT POST YOUR ANSWERS TO THE BRAIN-TEASER HERE AS MOST PEOPLE WOULD LIKE THE OPPORTUNITY TO WORK THEM OUT FOR THEMSELVES. Q/A's WILL BE POSTED 24HRS APART TO GIVE PEOPLE THE CHANCE TO WORK ON IT, THANK YOU.

I did mention this in the first post, The teasers are for you to work on yourselves, i will post the answer 24hrs later just in case you haven't come to the right conclusion. Have fun and good luck here and out on the felts.

Old
Sun Sep 23, 2012, 06:18 AM
(#18)
Since: Oct 2011
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by doobie818 View Post
He should have said 4. It is how many letters are in the number.

Four,six and twelve.

How about reading post number 1. Saves ruining the fun for others!

Old
Brain Teaser No.5 Answer - Sun Sep 23, 2012, 06:23 AM
(#19)
Can You Get In?

4. The answer is the number of letters in the number. Six has 3 letters, twelve has 6 letters and four has 4 letters.

Old
Brain Teaser No.6 - Sun Sep 23, 2012, 07:10 AM
(#20)
Whats The Word?

Remove six letters from this sequence to reveal a familiar English word.
BSAINXLEATNTEARS

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com