Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5 NL ZOOM set on monotone flop

Old
5 NL ZOOM set on monotone flop - Mon Sep 17, 2012, 01:45 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2011

No reads on opps.

I honestly believe this hand played itself (for me). Was there better alternative? Moved up from 2 NL recently, so $5 feels like a lot of money.

Player with TT clearly was on tilt but what about guy with bottom set? Was it a cooler for him or misplay? I am asking because folding any set feels so hard regardless of the flop.

P.S. I have violated the rule about not posting results because opp's hand is more interesting here imho.

Old
Mon Sep 17, 2012, 02:58 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi,

Not really sure I like your flop overbet jam, it's almost 2 x the size of the pot. You're making it really hard to get value from hands that are in terrible shape, like AK without a heart, or AhQx, and giving no one a chance to make a move. Probably bet more like 2/3rds of the pot on the flop, and it sets up a nice turn shove bet size.

The guy tilting is nice, and an argument for betting big for sure, but if he monkeyed his stack in for 2 x the pot this light, imagine how light he'd get it in facing only a 2/3rds pot bet, he might actually check-raise jam all in on a bluff with hands that are drawing almost dead.

I think the 44 played fine, especially if he recognized the TT guy was tilting. Your overbet shove looks like you're "protecting" against the single Ah or have AhAx/AhKx yourself, so he's obviously ahead of the AhX hands and is only behind KK in the "protection" category. If the TT guy were a nit or very conservative player, when he calls the huge overbet jam I think bottom set is a begrudging fold, as in that case a nitty guy will either have the flush already or have a bigger set the vast majority of the time.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Sep 17, 2012, 06:20 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2011
After sleeping couple of hours shove def looks like scared money to me
Back to 2 NL then.
Thanks for the advice.

Old
Mon Sep 17, 2012, 06:59 PM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2011
Have you got the correct br for 5NL?

That would be $100 you can take a shot for 4 stacks and if you get back to $80 you should move back down.

If you have a big enough bankroll then the more you play and win some, the more comfortable you'll get.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com