Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5nl pocket 88

Old
5nl pocket 88 - Tue Sep 18, 2012, 08:17 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
Hi, just wondering quite abit about this hand.
Will explain my actually worry underneath.
[IMG][/IMG]

Villain is 26/19/3bet 6/ agg fac 3.8.
To me i class this type of opponent as a Loose Aggressive, ive seen him open 68s on btn and double barrel on K high board, then giving up on river. He was definitely not shy about 3 betting also. He has been isolating wide and vs the guy in the SB he has raised his donk bet before and did not have to have a hand to do so.

Reason for raising on flop - Super wet board, Lag Guy in MP was full of it and get him out the pot, this way hoping to stack off vs the SB (he usually donked when has a hand).

Once they flatted the raise on the Flop, i wanted to get the SB in because of SPR(i dont mind loosing to him if he hit his str8 or has another 3 of a kind) and i know the MP could call with two pair or still with AK/AQ or flush draw. - The complete opposite happened.

his raise screams he has Straight. on the hand i actually timed out because i was putting the hands into pokerstove.

I typed his Pf % of hands playing like 16.1,
vs that range - im 65% to his 35%

even vs 12% im still 62.3% favourite.

Im wondering whether i should have shoved on his @ss because i had roughly 7/8outs i think considering a few blockers.

So to his raise im getting like 3.15-1 (roughly) [$2 more for $6.87 pot]
by pokerstove i should be calling...i think

..Oh seriously i dont know,
Is this one of the moments i should just be taking the chance?

Last edited by behappy621; Tue Sep 18, 2012 at 08:20 AM..

Old
Tue Sep 18, 2012, 12:44 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2011
I don't think someone's preflop hand range really matters in this spot.

If he bets out I'm calling as he could have a wide range, and maybe shove the river on him depending on the card.

The checkraise on the turn however really does look like trying to squeeze extra value from the straight, chances are with your raise on the flop that you are going to bet again and it's a good spot for him to get it in.

You actually have 10 outs on this board, 3 9's, 3 T's and 3 Q's as well as the last 8. You have only got a 22% chance to hit one of these however and I don't think the call is worth it, best to fold and find another spot.

Old
Tue Sep 18, 2012, 01:15 PM
(#3)
Since: Nov 2011
Hi BeHappy

This is a nice spot to check behind on the turn for pot control. If you don't fill up on the river and your opponent bets out, I would typically fold to a normal sized bet. If your opponent checks to you on the river you can be confident your set is best and bet out.

As played we have created a problem for ourselves. We have equity in the pot, but our opponent has a straight, and we have to figure out the pot odds. Whether they are in our favour or not we aren't making a ton of money either bet/folding or bet/calling this turn.

Where we can make a lot of money is by checking back and seeing if we fill up. The advantage of position is that we will also see if our opponent has a straight by whether they check or bet infront of us. Should they bet and we filled, we can put all the money in, should they bet and we don't, we should fold. Should they check we can value bet either way, but more obviously stand a check-raise when we fill up.

Hope that makes nonsense!

Old
Tue Sep 18, 2012, 01:47 PM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2011
Thanks guys!

Gareth, i was so screaming at myself for not checking behind after the hand, because normally for me that is a standard check, just that MP guy looked full of it at the time so decided to get him out - just went with a read but didnt work out that time. - also the worst thing is, i should have had a contingency plan if the MP raises.
- I guess i shall play my standard approach (check behind on the turn to try and fill up)

actually that is the best play, because there is also a flush draw, so if a needed high paint flush card comes in, i could stack both off.

Amateur mistake lol

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com