Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

An active/fun hand with ATo in BB

Old
An active/fun hand with ATo in BB - Wed Sep 19, 2012, 08:48 AM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2012
This was an interesting spot from yesterday. Couldn't have gone better for me, other than loosing the hand!

It was completely read based against a classic crazy Russian.

Now I admit my ranging skills need a lot of work, it's my main goal at the mo. QJ was not what I thought I was up against. When I shuved and he called I assumed he must be on T9 and was ready to type 'nh' in the chat box!

K.

Last edited by CptKevUK; Wed Sep 19, 2012 at 08:53 AM..

Old
Wed Sep 19, 2012, 12:57 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Kev,

Actually, he shoved the turn (effectively). He bet/3b the flop, then led the turn for 1.95 (55% of his remaining stack) leaving 1.60 behind, so it's no surprise that he calls your shove at this point with any holding he's gotten this far with.

Given the action there's reason to be concerned about a better hand, but as your line was read based and he was wild, so it's fine. If he's going to show up with worse tens, overplayed worse pairs, and all draws in this spot then you're ok getting it in on the turn here for sure.

Dave

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Sep 19, 2012, 01:04 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2011
If your assuming he has T9 when he calls here then shoving is not the correct play. We only want to bluff our hands which don't have much showdown value, this is not one of those hands.

We want to bet for value with hands like trips top kicker. That means trying to get worse hands to call.

But if you shove and he only has 1/4-1/5 of the pot behind, chances are he is going to call with worse.

Old
Wed Sep 19, 2012, 01:38 PM
(#4)
Since: Apr 2012
You guys think about the ratios and the math (or maths as we say here!!) so much more than I do.

Note to self; work on ranging AND the math. Oh, as well as folding out of marginal spots, not C betting too much, picking the right spots for 3 betting etc. etc. etc.!!

Thanks for the input, invaluable as ever

K.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com