Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

10NL 6 Max River dilema again

Old
10NL 6 Max River dilema again - Wed Sep 19, 2012, 09:12 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2012

Villain: 73 hands, 33/29, AF: 3.0, CB: 86% (7), flop FCB: 0% (3)
So he's pretty aggressive in short.

River he bets a normal sized 60%. With his aggression, I kind on put him on TP or a bluff that his flush draw got there. What would you have done?

I'm pretty weak at making river decisions as seen also from the few previous hands posted. Whenever villain makes a sizeable bet on the river at 10NL, does it usually mean they have a very strong hand?

Old
Wed Sep 19, 2012, 09:57 AM
(#2)
Since: Apr 2012
Again, I'm not one of the analysers so this is just a comment from a fellow player who's trying hard to improve.

I think you had to call that bet on the river. My feeling (and that's all it is!) is that that is going to be a profitable call in the long run against a player like that. Also, even though you knew you might be crushed by the flush (or even the straight) it was very valuable seeing that he called you down all the way with an under pair and no club.

Hard spot but I think you did the right thing check calling at the end. It will be interesting to see what the proper analysers have to say about the way the hand played out. Maybe your flop bet should have been a bit higher to guard against draws and for info?

Hmmmm, interesting stuff. Good luck. K.

Last edited by CptKevUK; Wed Sep 19, 2012 at 09:59 AM..

Old
Wed Sep 19, 2012, 01:09 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2011
Check-calling the river is probably good play here, one other play that could be good on the river is a bet-fold.

Old
Thu Sep 20, 2012, 04:46 AM
(#4)
Since: Nov 2011
Hey Awesome

I want to start with the flop decision, which sets up some of your other decisions. You mentioned in your OP that villain is aggressive and had c-bet over 80% in your sample. Why then, if he is going to c-bet a lot, did we lead out with our set? It seems to me that if we check we can expect him to continuation bet often at which point we will be able to check-raise our set. This will allow us to get more money on the flop when we have a very strong hand and want to build a pot.

On the river I would be much more content to bet myself and fold to a raise, than to check and call a bet. If we are checking to call a bet one or two things have to be true:

1 Our opponent is value betting worse hands
2 Our opponent is bluffing with worse hands

If one or both of these things are true then our opponent will bet hands we beat, but if neither is, he will not, and we can't check-call. On the other hand, if our opponent will call a bet with a worse hand, hands like AA,KK,QQ,AJ,JT, then we can bet the river ourself for value, in order to fold to a river raise.

That's the option I prefer and I would often on occasion, check the river with the intention of folding to a bet of a reasonable size.

Old
Sat Sep 22, 2012, 02:12 AM
(#5)
Since: Mar 2012
Thanks all. Again new insights to thought processes

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com