Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Confused about a tutorial question

Old
Confused about a tutorial question - Wed Sep 19, 2012, 03:09 PM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2012
Hey guys,

I'm working my way through the PSO courses, doing great so far i think. But I have came across a question that's got me confused.

It's on Betting> Rule of Two and Four, question 4 of 4:

"You hold AS KS, you oponent holds 2D 2C, The flop is 10D 10H 3C. According tot he rule of two and four your winning chances are: 24% 28% 18%

When i calculat it im coming up with 32%.. 3x possible K's and 3x A's plus 10's can be drawn = 8x4= 32%

What am i doing wrong? It's probably really stupid and obvious lol.

Thanks in advance.

Old
Wed Sep 19, 2012, 03:43 PM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2011
Realy bad question in that tutorial..... A single 10 doesn't get you there. They would both have to hit running as a single ten gives him a boat, but dont forget the three 3s that counterfiets his 2s as well,giving you a better kicker, so its actually a bit better than 36%, so they need to revamp that question. (soon I hope) lol

May the tinfoil protect you. MT

Last edited by mtnestegg; Wed Sep 19, 2012 at 03:48 PM..

Old
Wed Sep 19, 2012, 04:01 PM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy2k View Post
Hey guys,

I'm working my way through the PSO courses, doing great so far i think. But I have came across a question that's got me confused.....
It's on Betting> Rule of Two and Four, question 4 of 4:
"You hold AS KS, you oponent holds 2D 2C, The flop is 10D 10H 3C. According tot he rule of two and four your winning chances are: 24% 28% 18%.....
When i calculat it im coming up with 32%.. 3x possible K's and 3x A's plus 10's can be drawn = 8x4= 32%....
What am i doing wrong? It's probably really stupid and obvious lol.
Hi Clancy,

The first thing to remember with these courses is that they are designed with the absolute beginner in mind. In saying that they require a but of thinking to work them out.

In this scenario I would discount a 10 as an out, as this would give your opponent a full house (tens over twos).

Therefore, and remembering that this is a beginners course, we are only counting the 3xAces and the 3xKings as outs, so 24% would be the correct answer here.

Now let me complicate it a bit. I just discussed this question with one of our trainers and he quite rightly stated that any 3 could be counted as an out in the given scenario as you both then have two pair with you having the best kicker card.

I'll bring this to the attention of the person who sets the questions. For a beginner the question serves a purpose but to the more advanced player it's questionable.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Sep 19, 2012, 04:26 PM
(#4)
Since: Sep 2012
Thanks for the reply guys.

Seems to make more sence now. Seems i was putting a bit more depth of thought into it than was needed hehe.

Let's just hope this attitude will bring me good fortune on the tables!

Old
Thu Sep 20, 2012, 05:30 AM
(#5)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy2k View Post
Thanks for the reply guys.
Seems to make more sence now. Seems i was putting a bit more depth of thought into it than was needed hehe.
Let's just hope this attitude will bring me good fortune on the tables!
Hi Clancy,

And thanks to you also for pointing this out. As a result of your post this question has been edited to include the 3 x 3's as counted outs. So 9 outs in total

Keep up good work with studying the quizzes and taking the courses. If there's anything else we can help you with be sure and let us know.

Cheers,
Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
its 36 - Fri Oct 12, 2012, 11:19 PM
(#6)
Since: Jul 2010
3 aces 3 kings and 3 fours = 36%

Old
lol - Fri Oct 12, 2012, 11:23 PM
(#7)
Since: Jul 2010
sorry 3 3s

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com