Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2nl Zoom AA on Btn 3-betting minraise from EP

Old
2nl Zoom AA on Btn 3-betting minraise from EP - Fri Sep 21, 2012, 11:30 AM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2012
First hand I play with the villain.

I don't put much on his min open-raise, from what I have seen it could be the sign of some speculative hand, but half the time it is something decent as well (AJ+ or any pocket pair). I 3-bet mainly for value, I don't mind him folding speculative crap at this point. I could have made the c-bet something like $0.15 but I didn't want to scare him to much and I will play in position.

I am not especially happy with the flop, but it could be worse, KK has me beat, but apart from that I'm good and I can get nice value from AK. The turn completes a straight draw and AK has me beat now, but with Ah in my hand and Kh on the board he would have to on something like QhJh or QhTh for the straight, if he's on AK things look bad though. He checks to me again I probably should c-bet again there, but I checked back, wanting to see a cheap showdown and mybe hit another heart on the turn.

The turn doesn't change much in my eyes, without knowing him to be really loose I wouldn't expect him to call my 3-bet with something like 57. His bet into me looks like a value bet, this could be Kx or even slow played KK, maybe a flush with something like QhJh. The way I played this it might be an underpair as well: QQ and maybe even JJ and TT might bet here after they saw me not liking the king. It's a small chance and I probably shouldn't call, however it's so hard to put down Aces .

Old
Sun Sep 23, 2012, 12:35 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Garrns,

You've got a couple typos in your explanation but I think I get your gist.

I like 3-betting a bit more pre, I think we tend to get called a lot by the opener here so would like to build the pot a bit more and get additional value. Plus if he happens to have a big hand and decides to 4b, we want that to be bigger too so he gets committed preflop immediately. Something in the .14c-.16c zone I think works.

The flop continuation bet could be bigger than half the pot here. It's a situation where the villain either doesn't have a king (he's folding to even your half pot bet) or does have a king (he's probably willing to call much more, even a full pot sized bet). Flush draws will probably call as well, the few he has in his range (not many). And he may well check-raise AK although that's not a good play, but the bigger bet forces him to commit again in this case, and we should be fine committing on the flop.

I like the turn check back, since at this point his flop calling range contains a lot of Kx, and a few flopped sets and flush draws. If we fire again it looks very strong to JJ/TT type hands so I think our best chance to get value from those is to check, and bet the river if he checks again.

I don't mind calling the river, since our check-back can induce him to bet with worse, but I do think we're beat a lot in this spot, so folding is fine as well... it's probably close. Reads could lean it one way or the other imo.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Sep 23, 2012, 08:10 PM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
You've got a couple typos in your explanation but I think I get your gist.
Sorry again. Note to self: Write hand analysis requests the next day and not just before / some time after bed time.

Quote:
I like 3-betting a bit more pre, I think we tend to get called a lot by the opener here so would like to build the pot a bit more and get additional value. Plus if he happens to have a big hand and decides to 4b, we want that to be bigger too so he gets committed preflop immediately. Something in the .14c-.16c zone I think works.
I normally 3-bet around $.15 in places like this I was probably getting frustrated about picking up $.03-$.09 with my aces all day.

Quote:
The flop continuation bet could be bigger than half the pot here. It's a situation where the villain either doesn't have a king (he's folding to even your half pot bet) or does have a king (he's probably willing to call much more, even a full pot sized bet). Flush draws will probably call as well, the few he has in his range (not many). And he may well check-raise AK although that's not a good play, but the bigger bet forces him to commit again in this case, and we should be fine committing on the flop.
Makes sense, I definitely need to work on my c-bet sizing.

Quote:
I don't mind calling the river, since our check-back can induce him to bet with worse, but I do think we're beat a lot in this spot, so folding is fine as well... it's probably close. Reads could lean it one way or the other imo.
I called, prepared to look at a king or maybe a flush. My jaw hit the floor when he had 5d7d for a straight.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com