Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2nl Zoom AQ from MP 4 clubs on the board

Old
Default
2nl Zoom AQ from MP 4 clubs on the board - Fri Sep 21, 2012, 05:09 PM
(#1)
Garrns's Avatar
Since: Sep 2012
Posts: 44
No reads on the villain.



I open up with my regular 3x bet and pick up the small blind. Flop could be better, but at least there's an ace... Continuing with a half pot c-bet. He calls so he probably has something: AT+, maybe a straight draw with QK, QJ or JK, or anything of the above combined with a flush draw and he could be happily sitting on a flush of course.

The turn isn't really what I wanted to see, all his flush draws just got there, if he's sitting on 25 he just made a straight, would be kind of unexpected, but you never know. He checks to me, I check back to keep the pot small.

The river comes up with an ace giving me top set, which somehow doesn't make me really happy. He bets into me for about 3/4 of the pot. Could be a flush betting for value or AX, which just picked up a set or a full house, seems pretty big for a value bet though (Not that I haven't seen some people overbetting the put by a huge margin, which I assume was for value too.). Should I call here?
 
Old
Default
Sun Sep 23, 2012, 12:44 PM
(#2)
TheLangolier's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 13,496
(Head Trainer)
Hi Garrns,

You didn't 3x pre, you made it 4x over a limper and both the SB and limper called. It's an important distinction since it's less likely the guy is messing around in a 3 way pot.

The flop c-bet is too small, it's actually less than half the pot. If you're going to c-bet then I'd go closer to 2/3rds the pot on a wet board like this, or just check back the flop and fold to a bad turn card. This option can induce someone to bluff or semi-bluff the turn, or bet a worse ace for what they think is value, since they won't believe you have a big ace now.

Definitely I would just give up on the river. The ace coming giving you trips doesn't actually make any difference in terms of your hand strength, you still basically only have a bluff catcher. And the presence of another ace makes it even less likely he's got Ax and more likely he check-called the flop with a big club (or a flopped set that was being cautious and/or slowplaying). Plus I don't think he bombs the river with a worse ace too often if that's what he's got, he is probably more likely to check/call those hands with a 4 flush on the board.

Dave


Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner



 
Old
Default
Sun Sep 23, 2012, 07:56 PM
(#3)
Garrns's Avatar
Since: Sep 2012
Posts: 44
Thanks Dave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
Hi Garrns,

You didn't 3x pre, you made it 4x over a limper and both the SB and limper called. It's an important distinction since it's less likely the guy is messing around in a 3 way pot.
Sorry, I probably shouldn't write these before I go to bed.
Quote:
The flop c-bet is too small, it's actually less than half the pot. If you're going to c-bet then I'd go closer to 2/3rds the pot on a wet board like this, or just check back the flop and fold to a bad turn card. This option can induce someone to bluff or semi-bluff the turn, or bet a worse ace for what they think is value, since they won't believe you have a big ace now.
I think my c-betting and c-bet sizing still needs lot of work. Your c-betting lecture is currently on my list of videos to watch.

Quote:
Definitely I would just give up on the river. The ace coming giving you trips doesn't actually make any difference in terms of your hand strength, you still basically only have a bluff catcher. And the presence of another ace makes it even less likely he's got Ax and more likely he check-called the flop with a big club (or a flopped set that was being cautious and/or slowplaying). Plus I don't think he bombs the river with a worse ace too often if that's what he's got, he is probably more likely to check/call those hands with a 4 flush on the board.
You're absolutely right. Now why do I just find it so hard to fold in cases like this? I know, I know, the fold button is right to the left of the call button.
 

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com