Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

No matter what you do.....it's a bad beat.

Old
No matter what you do.....it's a bad beat. - Sun Sep 23, 2012, 05:28 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2011
My Question is....what can a player do with a playable hand against a limper.

I am getting smashed on PokerStars lately. I'm not a bad player....but I am sick of wankers. Fair enough he flopped a set.

I'm in position with 1 limper (the guy behind me) I decide to raise nothing special....3 or 4 times the big blind. Everyone else folds and the guy behind me flat calls.

The flop misses me, but gives me a strong flush draw. The flop hit him and he checked it down.

The flop goes chk chk.

I make my flush for free. He bets, I re-raise. He shoves all in. I'm not laying a K high flush here.

I can beat any str (other than a str flush), I beat any 2 pair, I beat trips.

Then he calls me an idiot for calling?

Last edited by Aus-Redda; Sun Sep 23, 2012 at 05:36 AM..

Old
Sun Sep 23, 2012, 09:18 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Aus-Redda!

This isn't a bad beat because you were never at any point in time ahead in the hand. It is however a cooler.

What I do when I'm playing against any number of limpers is that my preflop raise will be to 3BB+1BB for each limper. By raising it for each limper, it will deter them from calling the raise.... or build a much larger pot for my better hands.

You played the flop correctly. With a flush draw, I'm checking behind to try to hit it. If I was the opp, I'd have been betting 1/2 the pot, both for value and to price out a straight or flush draw.

The turn is where the cooler kicks in, as it does give KJ the flush, but the opp gets a full house from the same card. When the opp bets, I would raise to 3X their bet and if the shove, it'll depend on what the chip stacks are and how the opp has been playing as to whether or not I will call their shove. Most opps, I will call, but there are a few opp types (tight/passive for example) that I'm laying down 2nd flush here, as they will only be betting with a better hand (nut flush or full house).

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Good advice! - Thu Sep 27, 2012, 05:43 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2011
I thank you for your detailed reply. I can learn from this.
Thank you.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com