Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

55 Set Mine - Miss Flop - Odds Required to Call in Multi-Way Pot?

Old
55 Set Mine - Miss Flop - Odds Required to Call in Multi-Way Pot? - Tue Sep 25, 2012, 08:53 AM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2010
2NL Full Ring regular table (Not ZOOM)

I have pocket fives in middle position.

Player to my right at UTG+2 raises to $0.06, I am next to act and call to set mine with pocket fives.

Player behind me min reraises to $0.12 and is called by the small blind and the original raiser.

I call another $0.06 into the pot believing I still have pretty good odds to set-mine as the original raiser, who I have position on - is deeper stacked than me and we both have above the maximum table bring-in of 250BBs.

I miss the flop - so the plan is to just give up to any bet.

The pre-flop reraiser bets small - $0.10 into a $0.50 pot and both other opponents call, making the pot $0.80 with me needing to call $0.10 to see another card.

Should I call one more?

It feels like I have already spewed a bit calling preflop to the reraise but I would be closing the flop action. If I call and miss on the turn I will have to get away - but I am not sure what odds/implied odds I need to call on the flop.

Ed from Edinburgh - EdinFreeMan

Old
Tue Sep 25, 2012, 01:31 PM
(#2)
Since: Nov 2011
Hi Edin

I think you played the hand correctly, assuming your next move was to press that fold button.

Like you say, you are getting a good price to see the flop. Only 6 more to potentially win 2$ from one player, 50c from the three-better, and a full stack from the third player in the pot as well.

Given all that you can definitely call to see if you flop a set. Like you said, when you don't flop a set, the vast majority of the time, (an exception being a 436 type flop), you should be looking to check and fold.

As strong as your hand will be when you have a flopped set in this situation, your hand will be just as weak when you don't. You should be aware of this going into the flop, that is, when you make the decision to call the re-raise. That way, you won't have too tough a time convincing yourself to let it go after the flop

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com