Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Bankroll Builder

Old
Bankroll Builder - Thu Sep 27, 2012, 07:42 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2012
Hi

Just want to know if I am eligible for this promotion?

I have passed the Poker basics quiz and have not deposited yet.

Regards,

RFlush007

Old
Thu Sep 27, 2012, 08:12 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFlush007 View Post
Hi
Just want to know if I am eligible for this promotion?
I have passed the Poker basics quiz and have not deposited yet.
Regards,
RFlush007
Hi RFlush007,

We'll be able to let you know within the next 24 hours.

Cheers,
Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Sep 27, 2012, 11:05 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi RFlush007,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion and can earn up to $8 while learning the fundamentals of the game with PokerSchoolOnline.

We like to start everyone, no matter how much experience they may have, off with the basics so to get you started we'd like you to play some play money games (In the PokerStars lobby go to Hold'em > Play Money > No Limit) and using the Hand Replayer please post a hand that you have found difficult here in this thread.

Doing this will ensure that you know how to use the hand replayer tool and if you've any questions on it just ask us.

Also please attend one of the 'Getting Started at PokerStars' live training sessions. You'll find these sessions daily in the Live Training section.

Post back here when you have done both these things and we'll move you on to the next stage.

Good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Sep 28, 2012, 02:22 PM
(#4)
Thanks John

Just attended the 'Getting Started on Pokerstars' live training session.

Will keep you updated on my progress on the other tasks.

Regards,
RFlush007

Old
Re: Bankroll Builder - Hand analysis - Fri Sep 28, 2012, 04:22 PM
(#5)
Hi Team,

So here's a hand I just played and would like your thoughts about it.

I had a tight image at the table and this was my first strong hand out of 22 previous hands. Most of the other players were pretty loose, not surprising considering it's a play money game.

My thoughts:

PREFLOP: I decided to raise to 7x (3x + 4bb) because of the limpers.

FLOP: I flop trip A and decide to just call the villain's very small bet to disguise the strength of my made hand, although I don't think that was much of a disguise since I had a tight image at the table and it was my first huge raise preflop.

TURN: Now I felt that was the worst card that could have come on the turn because if he wasn't scared of flop, he definitely should have been scared on the turn. But since he bet small again I figured he just made the lower fullhouse. I called again with the intent of putting him all in on the river, although I think I should maybe have raised just a little bit.

RIVER: Easy one - I just had to call his shove.

I would like your thoughts on how you differently you would have played this hand.

Thanks,

RFlush007

Old
Fri Sep 28, 2012, 04:37 PM
(#6)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi RFlush007!

With AK from the cutoff, I would want to make a standard raise here preflop and I'd size the bet at 3BB+1BB for each limper, so I will raise to 1200, as there are three limpers (I don't count the BB as a limper because they have not acted yet).

Only the blinds stay, which is a great thing for me, as I get to play the rest of the hand in position. The flop gives me trip A's with top kicker. The first opp open-folds (weird) and the second opp makes a min bet that is only 1/25th of the pot size... another weird play. I would raise here to my standard value c-bet of 1/2 pot, so I will raise to 2500. I most likely have the best hand and I want to be building a pot due to it.

The turn gives me top full house and the 2nd nuts (66 is the nuts). The opp again makes a very, very small min bet. I'm going to raise here again and size it at about 1/3 to 1/2 pot again. I want to get value from my monster hand. By raising the flop and turn, I also make it much easier to get all the chips in on the river... which is what I want to accomplish with what most likely is the best hand.

The river doesn't change things for me at all. I have the 2nd nuts and calling the river shove is an easy play for me. If the opp has 66... then so be it. I want to get all the chips in, in this situation.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Sep 28, 2012, 04:39 PM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi RFlush007!

Now it's time to study the Poker Basics course and after you've studied it, try to pass the quiz.

Once you've passed it we'll award you your first $2 and continue on from there.

Please let me know when you do this.

Good luck!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Sep 28, 2012, 05:52 PM
(#8)
Thanks John.

I tried taking the Poker Basics quiz but it tells me that I have already passed it.

So what happens now?

Regards,

RFlush007

Old
Sat Sep 29, 2012, 11:51 AM
(#9)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi RFlush007!

Your first $2 will be credited into your account within 24 hours. Remember you can earn up to a total of $8 with this promotion.

Use this first $2 to then play ONLY the 1/2 cent real money tables only on PokerStars. Post back here when you get your first $2 and start playing these games, along with a hand that you had problems, or that cost you money, while playing with this $2.

Good luck!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Sep 29, 2012, 11:53 AM
(#10)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi RFlush007!

Also, please make sure that you attend the Introduction to Bet Sizing and Entering a Cash Game Pot live training sessions. They will help too.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Oct 01, 2012, 04:13 AM
(#11)
Thank John.

I have received the $2 and started playing the 1/2 cent games and have this hand I would like analysed. My question about this hand is how best to get max value with the flopped nuts.

So I flop the nuts and decide to cbet less than half the pot. On the turn I check to induce a bluff from the opponent he doesn't take it.

On the river my small bet isn't called and I take it down.

Is my check on the turn ok?

Regards,
RFlush007

Old
Mon Oct 01, 2012, 04:29 AM
(#12)
Hi

I would like your opinion on this hand.

On the flop I decided to limp thinking my pocket pair plus my position was good enough to set mine. But after the small blind's squeeze I thought my pair is definitely not good here because the villain was a tight player.

Should I have entered the pot in the first place? Was it a good fold or should I have at least seen a flop?

Regards,

RFlush007

Old
Mon Oct 01, 2012, 04:13 PM
(#13)
(Head Trainer)
Hi RFlush,

On the JJ hand, I would prefer to bet again on the turn rather than check. I like the thought process towards inducing a bluff, but we have to ask what he would call the flop with that is now going to be betting as a bluff? His flop calling range is mostly moderate made hands (mostly pairs like 88), the occasional slow played flopped boat, and flush draws. He will probably bet the latter 2 as they are both strong hands now, and he's probably not going to bet the moderate pair type hands because he doesn't like the flush card coming and he has showdown value. Yet he may call again with the pairs, and while we can feel like he will bet 5's full or a flush, betting is still much better for us because:

1) He may not bet those bigger hands, he may slow play himself on the turn
2) If we bet again, he will obviously at least call, and may well opt to raise us now putting us in a big pair.

Dave

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Oct 01, 2012, 04:17 PM
(#14)
(Head Trainer)
Hi Rflush,

On the 77 hand I think you played it fine. Definitely ok to cold call the initial raise in position here, and after the 3b from a tight player out of position, this is a certain fold... the effective stack isn't nearly deep enough to make set mining profitable, and you'll have to fold to a c-bet without a set, so calling isn't attractive, and 4 betting commits you in a situation where the villains range is heavily weighted towards bigger pairs and AK, so 4-betting just ends up getting your stack in bad vs. his range. Since calling and reraising are both unattractive, that leaves folding. Nicely played imo.

Dave

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Oct 02, 2012, 04:37 PM
(#15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
Hi RFlush,

On the JJ hand, I would prefer to bet again on the turn rather than check. I like the thought process towards inducing a bluff, but we have to ask what he would call the flop with that is now going to be betting as a bluff? His flop calling range is mostly moderate made hands (mostly pairs like 88), the occasional slow played flopped boat, and flush draws. He will probably bet the latter 2 as they are both strong hands now, and he's probably not going to bet the moderate pair type hands because he doesn't like the flush card coming and he has showdown value. Yet he may call again with the pairs, and while we can feel like he will bet 5's full or a flush, betting is still much better for us because:

1) He may not bet those bigger hands, he may slow play himself on the turn
2) If we bet again, he will obviously at least call, and may well opt to raise us now putting us in a big pair.

Dave

Thanks Dave.

Old
Thu Oct 04, 2012, 04:00 PM
(#16)
Ok. So I have attended the Introduction to Bet Sizing and Entering a Cash Game pot training sessions. Indeed they have been very helpful. I have also studied the cash game tutorial and I have learnt very much from it.

What do I have to do to earn the second $2.00 buy-in?

Regards,
RFlush007

Old
Thu Oct 04, 2012, 04:54 PM
(#17)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi RFlush007!

Please take the Cash Game quiz and post here when you have passed it.

Thanks and good luck.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Oct 04, 2012, 05:17 PM
(#18)
Hi John,

I have passed the Cash Game quiz.

Regards,
RFlush007

Old
Thu Oct 04, 2012, 06:21 PM
(#19)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi RFlush007!

Congrats on passing the course. The next $2 buy-in will be credited to your account within the next 24 hours. Remember to use the information learned in the course and training sessions when you use this $2 to play the 1/2 cent tables.

Good luck at the tables and please let us know what happens while playing, especially if there are any hands that you have problems with.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Oct 06, 2012, 05:58 AM
(#20)
Hi

Should I have given this villain the chance to cbet on the flop or should I have donked?

Regards,
RFlush007

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com