Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5NL FR Zoom 55

Old
5NL FR Zoom 55 - Thu Sep 27, 2012, 08:52 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010

This is 5NL Zoom, whats the best line to take on a draw heavy board with a set, sorry no reads new to this level.

Old
Thu Sep 27, 2012, 12:07 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2011
Preflop is fine here.

On the flop however I would raise more, to charge the draws a higher price to come along, you don't want to give them the correct odds to call, i would say $0.35.

On this turn I would lead out for like $0.85 and fold to a raise.

Old
Thu Sep 27, 2012, 12:13 PM
(#3)
(Head Trainer)
Hi Rex,

Definitely we want to initiate an aggressive action right on the flop, in order to build the pot and give ourselves a chance to get stacks in. We should be able to get action on this board texture as they can have connected with draws, and if the preflop raiser has an overpair he may well overplay it out of a desire to "protect" his hand and end up stacking off right on the flop to us. I would either lead out fairly large (in the area of 2/3rds pot), or check-raise. I think a check-raise is fine in this spot readless, as the EP raiser probably has a decent hand and is more likely to c-bet, then we can trap the other caller between us with the c/r. If the villain had low c-bet tendencies then leading into him is fine as well.

Don't wait until the turn, slow playing this flop will generally cost you a lot of money in the long run. For example, let's say the preflop raiser has QQ. He will be prone to stacking off right on this flop if we give him the chance, however on the turn any A, K, heart, or straight card may give him pause and cost us the chance to get his stack in as a huge underdog to our set.

General advice, when in doubt, play your sets and strong flops fast. People have a tendency to be slow play happy with strong flops, and look for a special excuse to play fast (usually, a villain wanting to put in big action on a wet board). You'll tend to make more money in the long run doing the exact opposite... play your big flops fast as a default, with slow playing being the exception based on circumstances, not the norm.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Sep 27, 2012, 12:19 PM
(#4)
(Head Trainer)
Actually I agree lead bet for more, if you're going to lead, if I wasn't clear in my post. I think check-raising is a viable option here and grows the pot more. Would be easier to determine if we had reads which is optimal.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Last edited by TheLangolier; Thu Sep 27, 2012 at 12:21 PM..

Old
Thu Sep 27, 2012, 01:27 PM
(#5)
Thanks for your replies.

In tournaments I have had some success sticking to a half pot bet, so opponents cannot get a read if I am bluffing or value betting and also giving them incorrect odds to draw, does this dynamic change in cash games, where the half pot bet is less effective used this way?

If I am changing my betting amounts to the strength of my hand, will I not be easy to read.

I think a check/raise would of been the best way to play this hand after reading your post, what if both opponents check and the turn brings so many draws in?

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com